The Books of the Bible Kid's Curriculum - Later Elementary - Page 6
Option 2: Birth Announcement (20 min)
Supplies: construction paper, scissors, glue sticks, paper doilies, ribbons, markers, pens or pencils
• SAY: Parents wait months for their new baby to arrive. When that happy day finally comes, they want
everyone to know the good news. Parents often put a lot of effort into creating a birth announcement
with their baby’s picture, date and time of birth, and the baby’s length and weight.
• CONTINUE: Today you’ll create a birth announcement for God’s Son, Jesus! We don’t know Jesus’ length
or weight, but your announcement can include other facts about him. You know the city of his birth,
his earthly parents, and the good news that he is the Savior!
• INSTRUCT students to use the craft supplies to create their own birth announcements for Jesus. Hang
the finished products where others can enjoy them!
Option 3: Pass It On (15 min)
Supplies: Bible verse cards
Teacher Prep: Write a main sentence from each of these Bible verses on separate index cards: Luke 1:32; Matthew
1:20; Luke 2:17; Matthew 2:2.
• GATHER the students in a circle.
• SAY: The good news of Jesus’ birth spread far and wide. When you share a message, you have to be
careful to pass it on accurately. This game will test our messenger skills.
• GIVE one student a Bible verse card to read discreetly. Direct that student to whisper the verse to the
• CONTINUE passing the message around the circle by whispering from one student to the next (do not
pass around the card). Call on the last student to repeat the message out loud.
• DISCUSS whether the final message is accurate. Let the students laugh about where and how it got
• REPEAT as time allows with new verses.
Option 4: Praise and Worship (15 min)
Supplies: audiovisual equipment to play music or project a video
Lead a Christmas sing-along to celebrate the birth of Jesus! Let students pick some of their favorite songs,
such as “O, Little Town of Bethlehem” or “Away in a Manger.” Bring in a few Christmas CDs, search for lyric
videos online, or have someone provide music on an instrument.
Option 5: Act It Out (20 min)
Supplies: A Savior Is Born script (1 per student)
Teacher Prep: Print and photocopy the A Savior Is Born script.
• ASSIGN roles to students and act out the skit. Combine or split roles as necessary to fit the needs of
Later Elementary: Lesson 1
New Testament: Jesus Is Born