The Books of the Bible Kid's Curriculum - Later Elementary - Page 4
STEP 1 | Come Together (10 min)
Teacher Prep: Before the students arrive, arrange for an adult helper to assist as the “thief.” As soon as you begin
Step 1, the “thief” should enter the room casually and take something valuable, such as a cell phone. The goal is
for the “thief” to look and act like an ordinary part of the students’ day so they don’t take particular notice.
• SAY: Today is going to be exciting. You are going to witness a crime! That’s right. A real crime. Don’t
worry, you won’t be in any danger. But you will have to answer some questions as eyewitnesses to the
• ASK: What is a crime? What is a suspect? What are clues? What is an eyewitness? (These questions
only serve the purpose of stalling and drawing attention to yourself as the “thief” performs his or her
role and leaves.)
• SAY: Okay, you know a lot about crimes. And you’ve all just witnessed one, so tell me, what was the
crime? Who is the suspect?
• ALLOW a few moments for students to express their likely confusion. Then call the “thief” back into the
room to explain what just happened before their eyes.
• SAY: Even though I told you that you would witness a crime, you missed it. You should have been alert,
but when the crime occurred, it didn’t look the way you expected it to. In some ways, this is similar to
the birth of Jesus, as we’ll learn today.
• INTRODUCE this week’s Key Verse. Repeat the verse slowly a few times until the students are able to
say the verse from memory. (Note: You also may choose to review last week’s Key Verse together.)
Luke 2:11: “Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you. He is the Messiah,
STEP 2 | Hear the Story (20 min)
• SAY: Just like our “crime” today, witnesses were told ahead of time about the birth of Jesus. Hundreds
of years before Jesus was born, prophets delivered God’s message about the coming Savior. Here’s
what a few of them said.
• READ aloud Micah 5:2; Isaiah 7:14; and Isaiah 9:6 or have students work in pairs to look up and read
the verses aloud.
• SAY: People waited and watched for hundreds of years for this child to be born.
Later Elementary: Lesson 1
New Testament: Jesus Is Born