Health & Wellness Magazine Live + Thrive Magazine - Summer 2018 - Page 20
BY JONNIE DAVIS, EDITOR OF BLYSEE.COM
HOW OFTEN do you forgot to take care
of yourself; whether it’s taking an extra-
long lunch break or indulging in your
favorite dessert? We all need to take time
to slow down and care for ourselves. It
is not always easy when we are taking
care of others and working hard to get
everything done. When we forget to take
care of ourselves, we often find ourselves
exhausted, irritable and it becomes hard
for us to be there for the people we love. HERE ARE IDEAS OF WHAT YOU CAN
DO TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF:
When I was in school I was constantly
running myself ragged trying to keep up
with my heavy course load and my social
life. I was always focused on my goals and
the outrageous expectations I had set for
myself. I forgot to take care of myself and
ended up in the hospital on account of
dehydration and exhaustion. My aching
muscles were a huge reminder that I wasn’t
showing myself enough love and attention.
Self-care is a necessity; it’s not at all
selfish. Don’t feel guilty for saying no to an
invitation or a request when you need to
take time out for yourself. You can’t truly
be there for others if you are in a mental
fog yourself. When you take good care of
yourself, you are more likely to approach
things with a clear head. The best thing
you can do for your mind, body and soul
is to take a break and show yourself some
love “There are days I drop words of
comfort on myself like falling leaves and
remember that it is enough to be taken
care of by my self.” - Brian Andreas
22. Binge watch your favorite Netflix show.
1. Burn your favorite scented candle. 23. Invite your best friend over
for wine and cooking.
2. Take a long hot bath. 24. Do something that brings you joy.
3. Go for a walk in your favorite park. 25. Go to an art museum.
4. Make a gratitude list; write down
everything you are thankful for. 26. Find some live music to
listen to on a night out.
5. Bake your favorite dessert. 6. Give yourself a mani/pedi. 27. Sleep in for a couple of
hours on the weekend.
7. Buy the full size of your favorite perfume. 28. Spend the whole day with your pet.
8. Buy yourself some fresh flowers. 29. Learn a new skill.
9. Treat yourself to a facial. 30. Plan a weekend getaway.
10. Do a digital detox. No
electronics for a whole day. 31. Read your favorite book.
11. Declutter your space. 33. Do something out of your comfort zone.
12. Wear a high sunscreen. 34. Help someone with a small
task. Open a door, carry a bag.
13. Don’t put yourself down.
14. Forgive others.
15. Get rid of toxic people.
16. Go on an intense uphill hike and
appreciate the view at the top.
17. Practice mindfulness.
18. Listen to your favorite playlist.
19. Get outside in the sun.
35. Get dressed up and take
yourself on a date.
36. Splurge a little.
37. Check in with your emotions.
38. Get positive feedback, ask four friends
to tell you what they love about you.
39. Inhale your favorite smell.
20. Go on a lunch date with
your grandmother. 40. Make a small healthy change
in your diet; add something green,
drink twice the amount of water.
21. Take your mom to dinner. 41. Go dancing.