eady with the urge to help her community , Kamia Brown decided to run for the Florida House of Representatives in 2016 where she was elected and later re-elected in both 2018 and 2020 . Serving the West Orange County Area , Representative Brown is currently the House Democratic Leader Pro Tempore , Vice-Chair of the Florida Legislative Black Caucus , and the Democratic Ranking Member of the Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee . Today , Representative Brown ’ s constituents have seen her work across the community which has kept waters clean , created better healthcare opportunities , and secured resources for the West Orange area .
Secured Money & Resources for the Community I was very proud in this past legislative session to have secured many financial resources for our community . Specific funding received for our community includes :
• Central Florida Family Health Center COVID-19 Infusion Center : $ 240,018
• Tech Sassy Girlz : $ $ 100,000
• Apopka Fire Station 6 : $ 1,014,623
• Re-Establishment of the Florida Center for Nursing : $ 800,000
• Ocoee Massacre Descendent Scholarship ( Randolph Bracy Ocoee Scholarship Program ): $ 305,000
• Healthy Start : $ 63,115,062
www . KamiaBrown4Florida . com
Created Better Health Care Opportunities Wrote and passed legislation that has improved maternal health outcomes for minority women addressing the disproportionately high rates of maternal mortality among women of color , coordinated prenatal home visiting programs and providing education for pregnant women .
Wrote and passed legislation that has created the office of Minority and Health Equity in County Health Departments . This office will promote statewide implementation of policies , programs , and practices that increase health equity for racial and ethnic minority populations in Florida .
Worked with fellow legislative colleagues to pass police reform policies
• Will ban the arrest of children under the age of seven .
• Establishes independent reviews after uses of force .
• Will require other officers to intervene in excessive force incidents .
• Will require the disclosure of investigations on job applications in law enforcement .
• Limits the use of chokeholds .
• Establishes basic skills training for the use of force .
Email : KamiaBrownForFlorida @ gmail . com Phone : 321-270-7211 Mail : P . O . Box 927 , Ocoee , FL 34761
39 IBA Success Magazine n VOL 8 , Issue 1