The characteristics of various
from Metro Creative Connection
Cats perch on windowsills and the tops of sofas in many homes across the country . The American Veterinary Medical Association indicated in its U . S . Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook ( 2017-2018 ) that 25.4 percent of households owned cats , with a total of 58,385,725 cats residing in the United States that year . The Canadian Animal Health Institute says cats continue to outnumber dogs in Canada , where 8.1 million cats were kept as household pets in 2020 .
Pet owners understand that there are a variety of dog breeds , each with its own behavior , size and temperament standards . For example , a golden retriever may behave much differently than a toy poodle . The same can be said for cats ; cat breeds vary and each has its own notable characteristics . The following are a few popular cat breeds and what owners can expect if they open their homes to these felines , courtesy of PetHealthZone ® and Cat Fanciers ’ association .
• Abyssinian : A popular cat breed , abyssinians are elegant and regal-looking . While affectionate , they tend not to be lap cats , but are known for their curiosity and playfulness . These cats come in four different ruddy colors .
• American Bobtail : This cat has a short tail and tufted ears and toes . It resembles the wild bobcat . Some say these cats are dog-like in their personalities . They may enjoy greeting family and some can even be leash-trained .
• Bengal : Bengals look like a wild cat with their spotted coats . They are extremely intelligent and require much energy to stimulate them mentally .
• Burmese : Burmese cats like spending time with their families and bonding with people . They hail from Thailand , although it was rumored the cats were from Burma , and come in American and British variations .
• Devon Rex : With its oversized ears , the Devon Rex can look like a cartoon character . And a character he or she is , preferring to curl up on a warm lap or follow people around the house . The breed also has a hint of mischievousness , so watch out .
• Himalayan : Puffy and beautiful , these cats desire petting and grooming . They were bred by crossing Persian and Siamese cats to produce a striking mix . Himalayans are affectionate , intelligent and extroverted .
• Maine Coon : These cats got their name from the legend that they ’ re a cross between a cat and a racoon . This isn ’ t the case , but Maine Coons are among the largest cat breeds in the world and have fur and tails that resembles a wild racoon ’ s . People-oriented , intelligent and easy-going are some traits associated with this breed .
• Persian : Persians have scrunched faces and silky , flowing coats . They tend to be quiet and gentle , and will offer unconditional love to owners . They can take a while to warm up to new people .
• Siamese : These cats look similar to Burmese , and also hail from Thailand . Brown paws and blue eyes give them a striking look . They ’ re quite talkative and very intelligent .
With scores of cat breeds , people can undoubtedly find felines that fit their lifestyles .
Photo by Lina Angelov on Unsplash
46 Valdosta Scene | June 2022