US Army Europe K-12 INBOUND PCS Handbook Aug 2016 - Page 12
A Primer for Parents
10 FAST FACTS:
1. Kindergarten is a full day program.
2. Kindergarten enrollment is not required. It is a parent decision.
3. No single factor determines Kindergarten Readiness
4. Naps are not part of kindergarten.
5. Cutoff age for kindergarten enrollment is five years of age by
September 1st. The only exception made is if a child has already started kindergarten in a state that has a later cut off date. No “evaluations for exceptions” are
made. Contact the SLO or school registrar for details.
6. Cutoff age for first grade is six years of age by September 1st .
From 2nd grade on the requirement is “successful completion of previous grade.”
7. Kindergarteners start school about a week later than other
grades to allow their teachers time to conduct home visits with
students. Expect to be contacted for a home visit appointment.
8. Kindergarten students must be escorted to and from school or
a bus stop.
9. For more information about the Kindergarten curriculum in
DoDEA, check out their Kindergarten Program Link & Kindergarten: Parents’ Guide
10. Students do better in school when their parents are involved.