FOR OUR PATIENTS
An attending physician will supervise and coordinate your care alongside other providers who may include :
• Consulting physician – a physician with specialized knowledge who may see you at the request of your attending physician
• Fellow physician – a medical doctor pursuing indepth knowledge in a specialized area of medicine
• Resident physician – a medical doctor practicing under the direct or indirect supervision of an attending physician
• Medical student – a student training to become a physician who may observe your care or assist in limited ways
ADVANCED PRACTICE PROVIDERS ( APPs )
These are licensed health care professionals who provide care under close supervision from a physician . Advanced practice providers include nurse practitioners , physician assistants , certified registered nurse anesthetists , perfusionists , and registered nurse first assistants .
UAB is the only hospital in the state that holds Magnet designation , the highest recognition for nursing excellence . Your nurse will be the main contact in the coordination of your care and should be the first person you ask if you have a problem or question . The nurse manager and assistant nurse managers oversee day-to-day activities on the units and are available if you have any concerns , comments , or compliments about your care .
Radiology techs perform diagnostic imaging examinations including X-ray , MRI , and CT scans .
• 205.934.4254 Our chaplain team is available 24 hours a day , 7 days a week , to provide emotional and spiritual support specific to your faith or spiritual tradition .
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES ( EVS )
The EVS team takes pride in keeping your room clean and tidy .
• 205.934 . MEAL or 4-MEAL ( 6325 ) Our Food and Nutrition Services team members deliver your meals .
GUEST SERVICES & PATIENT TRANSPORT
• * 55 or 205.934 . CARE ( 2273 ) Just dial * 55 or 205.934 . CARE ( 2273 ) to reach our Guest Services team , which is available to help with anything regarding your stay – from finding your way and getting around to art therapy and religious services . They can also connect you to Patient Transport and assist with getting you a wheelchair or to your next destination .
Other care team members may include pharmacists , registered dieticians , physical therapists , occupational therapists , speech therapists , and laboratory personnel .
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIANS ( PCTs )
PCTs assist nurses and physicians in performing your daily care needs and maintaining your comfort and hygiene .
Unit secretaries help coordinate the unit by answering phones , assisting in supply management , answering call lights , and organizing forms and charts .
A case manager or medical social worker will work with you to coordinate your stay , assist in discharge planning , and help transition you from the hospital to home or to other care facilities .
These clinicians are specially trained in advanced airway management . They are involved in monitoring , evaluating , and providing treatment to patients with a wide range of heart and lung issues .
REHABILITATION THERAPY Steel Pewter Gray
NON-CLINICAL STAFF Chocolate Brown , Khaki , or Eggplant
4 Patient & Visitor Guide