Griffins @ Home Virtual Series Enjoyed by Alumni Near and Far
When the isolation of the COVID-19 pandemic set in last spring , GMercyU found a way to keep alumni connected : our new Griffins @ Home virtual series .
By Deb O ' Reilly
Designed to entertain , educate , and inspire some togetherness , the Griffins @ Home series kicked off last June and has continued through this spring . More than 160 alumni from all over the country have attended the events . This new virtual series also enabled many Griffins to attend their very first GMercyU Alumni event .
Alumni Association Board member and Chef Toni Lorraine Johnson ' 13 /' 15 hosted the first series webinar , teaching alumni how to make her delicious Shrimp Curry recipe from her own home kitchen .
The series continued with these events and more :
• A lesson on the basics of American Sign Language , hosted by Brian Smith ' 08 , a Nationally Certified Sign Language Interpreter , and one of his colleagues
• A high-energy Zumba workout with Alumni Association Board member Lesley Greene ' 16
• How to manage burnout and compassion fatigue , hosted by GMercyU ’ s Assistant Director of Counseling Services Daniel Jordan
• Understanding emotional intelligence , hosted by Adjunct Professor Charmaine Maddrey- Smith ' 08 , ' 10 , ' 15
• Bedtime stories for our littlest Griffins , read by Education Assistant Professor Mary Jo Pierantozzi ' 72
• How children can thrive as digital learners , hosted by Dr . Matthew Friedman ' 20
• A 30-minute bodyweight workout , led by GMercyU ’ s Assistant Director of Intramurals and Recreation Maddie Herman ' 19
• Using comic books in the classroom , hosted by teacher and popular comic book author Tim Smyth ' 08
• Managing your child ’ s at-home learning experience , hosted by Education Professor and Assistant Dean in the School of Business and Education Dr . Deborah Schadler
Our most popular event to date ? “ Six Steps to Singing ,” featuring Voices of Gwynedd Director Carol Evans .
“ I ’ ve really enjoyed all of the sessions and seeing our alumni , friends , and students online . I would encourage anyone who is looking for something ‘ different ’ to check out our Griffins @ Home page
to watch recordings of past sessions and to sign up and join us for future programming ,” said Gianna Quinn , Director of Alumni Relations .
“ I ’ d especially like to thank our alumni and staff who have helped lead sessions and shared their time , talents , and expertise for the virtual sessions to date .”