Nominations sought for Top 10 over 50 honorees
By Ida Brown ibrown @ themeridianstar . com
The deadline has been extended in the search for the next class of Top 20 over 50 . Nominations may be submitted through April 15 . An outgrowth of the Mississippi Power presentation TOP twenty under 40 , an event which recognizes 20 of the Meridian area ’ s top “ movers and shakers ” under the age of 40 , Top 10 over 50 recognizes “ movers and shakers ” over the age of 50 .
So who is a candidate for Top 10 over 50 ? Anyone over the age of 50 who is making a difference — in Meridian and surrounding communities ( this includes those who reside in the 393 zip code area ). Someone who inspires others through their works and deeds . Someone who does it “ just because .”
Such individuals may volunteer , serve as mentors , actively serve on committees and boards , participates in local causes or may have created programs or organizations that contribute to the betterment of the communities in which they live . This includes people from every sector : education , business , health care , professional services , real estate , government , finance , law , military , nonprofits and other areas . These individuals represent Meridian ’ s emerging leaders , as well as and “ movers and shakers .”
Everyone knows at least one person who fits this description .
Nominations are currently being accepted for the inaugural class of Top 10 Over 50 . Pleases note , nominations should not come from immediate family members ( parents , siblings , children , grandchildren , aunts / uncles , cousins ). The following information is needed :
• Nominee ’ s first and last name :
• Age ( 51 and older ); include birthdate :
• Place of employment or employment status ( i . e . Retired ):
• Community involvement within the last two years ( i . e . service clubs , civic organizations , volunteer groups , church outreach ministries , self-established community service organizations or groups , or other entities .
• Two to three paragraphs about how the nominee has made an impact and they should be considered a Top 10 Over 50 honoree .
• How has the nominee exhibited any or all of the following qualities : drive , motivation , forward-thinking attitude , innovation , community involvement and / or leadership ?
• A daytime and / or evening telephone number where the nominee can be reached should they be selected .
• Nominee ’ s email
• Your daytime and / or evening telephone number . Honorees are selected by our staff and will be recognized at a luncheon at a local venue . The inaugural class included men and women from various walks of life who are making a difference through volunteerism as well as random acts of kindness . The 2021
honorees were Tim Allred , Felecia Brown , Beverly Cole , Kim Culpepper , Kris Gianakos , Thomas Huebner , Abdul Lala , Archie McDonnell , Dorothy Stamps and Jeffery Wilson .
If you know someone who should be nominated , send your ’ s nominee ’ s information to : ibrown @ themeridianstar . com Make sure to include T10 / O50 in the subject line .
You also can mail nominations to : The Meridian Star , 814 22nd Ave ., Meridian MS 39301 , Attn : T10 / O50 .
26 • TIMELESS MERIDIAN