Thrive-Health Guide Southern West Virginia August 2020 - Page 12
Mixed Grain and Coconut Porridge
1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup mixed whole grains (such as black barley, rye, farro,
black quinoa, and/or spelt)
1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Raisins and assembly
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Pinch of kosher salt
3 bags Earl Grey tea
Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes (for serving)
1. Bring grains, coconut flakes, maple syrup, a pinch of salt,
remaining coconut milk, and 4 cups water to a boil in a
large saucepan over medium-high heat. (Do Ahead:
Porridge can be made 4 days ahead.)
2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until grains
are chewy-tender and most of the liquid has been
absorbed, about 1 hour. Spoon 2 Tablespoon of coconut
milk off the top of the can into a small bowl. Sprinkle with
sea salt and set aside.
Raisins and Assembly:
3. Bring raisins, maple syrup, salt, and 1 cup water to a
simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
4. Cook until raisins are plump and about half of the water is
evaporated, 12–15 minutes.
5. Add tea bags and let raisin mixture cool.
6. Divide porridge among bowls and top with reserved
7. Remove tea bags from raisins and spoon raisins and
some of their syrup over porridge.
8. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.
12 • THRIVE • AUGUST 2020