The Old Pocklingtonian Old Pocklingtonian 2017-18 - Page 6

CAREERS AND AWARDS FIRST CLASS HONOURS Congratulations to the following OPs who have recently gained first class honours. Their names will be added to the honours boards in the Music School (Assembly Hall) as a lasting record of their achievement. Rachel Allison (08-13) BA (Hons) Politics, Religion and Philosophy University of Birmingham Ellie Furby (07-14) BA (Hons) Business Management Northumbria University Hayley Harrison (08-15) BA (Hons) History and the David Luscombe Prize in Medieval History Sheffield Hallam University Emma Hawcroft (04-11) MA Translation University of Bristol Emma Hutchinson (03-14) BA (Hons) Ancient History and History Leeds University Faye McFarlane (07-14) BA (Hons) German and Chinese Nottingham Trent University CAREERS AND BUSINESS NETWORK As reported in the last magazine the Pocklington School Foundation has launched a new Careers and Business Network to help support current and former pupils as well the wider school community. The network is open to parents past and present, staff and supporters, and OPs, with the aim of sharing advice and expertise to help each other thrive in a highly competitive world. The network has been developed with the support of the OP Association, who have been offering careers and mentoring support to former pupils for a number of years. For the launch event which was held at school, OP Martin St Quinton (65-75), now a renowned businessman and Owner and Chairman of Gloucester Rugby Club, shared his thoughts on what has inspired him throughout his career. Martin, who attended Pocklington School from 1965-75, started a private office equipment company in 1980, not long after leaving Durham University. He sold it to Danka PLC in 1993 and served as CEO of Danka’s International Operations until 1999, acquiring over 50 companies in 30 countries over that time. In 2000, he founded Azzurri Communications, which grew to 700 staff and £150 million turnover. Martin was named Ernst and Young Technology Entrepreneur of the Year in 2003. Ellie Stephenson (06-14) BSc (Hons) Agri-Business Management and the Garfield Weston Prize Newcastle University In 2008, he acquired a 40% stake in Gloucester Rugby, and acquired the remaining 60% stake in 2016, taking over as Owner and Chairman. He also spearheaded the successful fundraising efforts for Cheltenham Racecourse’s £50m redevelopment. Sophie Stuart (05-12) MPharm University College London A keen sportsman, Martin has also served on the board of Hull City FC and Epsom Downs Racecourse. In a question and answer session, Martin spoke about how much he had enjoyed his career, how he would advise people to try and persevere if you have a business idea you believe in, and to focus on working in a sector you are really interested in. He told how he had made mistakes along the way but said the most important thing was that he had learned from them. He also stressed the importance of having a trusted business network, as a sounding board and source of advice. Guests at the launch, also heard from Julie Good, Governor, Gillian Jones, the school’s Careers & University Advisor and Trevor Loten (70-80), OP President. Subsequent Careers & Business Network events have taken place in Leeds and London. At the Leeds event in March, the focus was on family businesses with guest speaker Christopher Oughtred, former Chairman of the sixth generation family business, William Jackson Food Group (WJFG). WJFG is a food business, which trades through five subsidiary companies and was founded in 1851 at a grocery store in Hull. Christopher is the great, great grandson of its founder William Jackson. In 2017, WJFG won the Ernst and Young Family Business Award for Excellence in the UK. Christopher is a Life Patron and former Chair of Governors at Pocklington School and was a founder trustee/director of the Institute for Family Business. He has also chaired a Financial Times Masterclass about family business. The networking event, which was attended by a mix of former students, current and former parents of Pocklington School, was held at the offices of Schofield Sweeney LLP in Leeds city centre. Kindly arranged by Old Pocklingtonians David Strachan (67-77), Adam Hastie Robert Sullivan (02-13) BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science Loughborough University Wesley To (07-14) BA (Hons) Business and Management Durham University keep in touch JOIN THE OLD POCKLINGTONIAN ASSOCIATION GROUP ON FACEBOOK www.facebook.com (L to R: James Sweeting, Sheena McNamee, Trevor Loten, Mark Ronan) 6