The Old Pocklingtonian Old Pocklingtonian 2017-18 - Page 16

FROM THE ARCHIVES POCKLINGTON’S MUSICAL HERITAGE We were pleased to hear from OP David Fitchett (56-63) who as a regular listener to London’s Classical FM, has followed other listeners reporting their musical heritage. He reminded us that Pocklington School has a link to Mozart through the late Sefton Cottom (51-90). He remembers Sefton proudly telling a music class of this link and this prompted David to find the connections. Here are his findings, which may be of interest to other former pupils of Sefton and generally. (Frederick Arthur) Sefton Cottom FRCO (18 September 1928 - 21 January 2011) was an organist and composer based in England. He was born on 18 September 1928 in York. He was a student of Sir Edward Bairstow and his assistant organist at York Minster. Graduated in music from Durham University. He was a Fellow of the Royal College of Organists and of Trinity College of Music in London. He moved to Pocklington School in 1951 and became Director of Music RESTORED WWI LORRY DELIVERS BELLS The Pocklington Thursday Club was formed by an eclectic group of individuals as a regular lunch get together in the 1990s, with late staff Nigel Billington (58-88) and Terry Hardaker (64- 95) as leading lights. It is still meeting annually, and the 2017 gathering once again assembled at The Feathers in December. As part of the proceedings, the Thursday Club throng heard from John Marshall (64-70), the organiser of the annual lunch for the past decade, who updated the diners on his recent trip to Ypres in his restored Thorneycroft World War I lorry. Sir Edward Cuthbert Bairstow (22 August 1874 - 1 May 1946) was an English organist and composer in the Anglican church music tradition. Bairstow was born in Trinity Street, Huddersfield in 1874. He studied the organ with John Farmer at Balliol College, Oxford, and while articled under Frederick Bridge of Westminster Abbey received tuition from Walter Alcock. He studied organ and theory at the University of Durham, receiving the Bachelor of Music in 1894, and the Doctor of Music in 1901. After holding posts in London, Wigan and Leeds, he served as organist of York Minster from 1913 to his death, when he was succeeded by his former pupil Francis Jackson. He was knighted in 1932. Sir Frederick Bridge From 1863 to 1867 he studied composition with John Goss, professor of harmony at the Royal Academy of Music. In 1875, he became organist and master of the choristers at Westminster Abbey. of the Chapel Royal, London, and. The young Goss, however, became a pupil of Thomas Attwood, organist of St Paul’s Cathedral. Attwood, a former pupil of Mozart, was a musician of wide sympathies and kind disposition. Thomas Attwood (23 November 1765 - 24 March 1838) was an English composer and organist. In 1783 he was sent to study abroad at the expense of the Prince of Wales (afterwards George IV), who had been favourably impressed by his skill at the harpsichord. After two years in Naples, Attwood proceeded to Vienna, where he became a favourite pupil of Mozart. On his return to London in 1787 he held for a short time an appointment as one of the chamber musicians to the Prince of Wales. In 1796 he was chosen as the organist of St Paul’s Cathedral, and in the same year he was made composer of the Chapel Royal. Sir John Goss (27 December 1800 - 10 May 1880) was an English organist, composer and teacher. Born to a musical family, Goss was a boy chorister John has been restoring anything old – vehicles, steam engines, machines or buildings – for most of his life. His first project was while he was still a Pocklington School pupil in the 1960s when he paid £5 to Dr Fairweather for an old Talbot car that lay abandoned at the back of Faircote across the road from the school. John was first featured in the pages of the Pocklington Post in the late 1980s when he put the millwheel at Stamford Bridge corn mill back into working order, and his passion for old vehicles and machinery has continued to this day. But it was his most recent project that captured the interest of his Thursday Club companions. In 2016, John discovered a partly scrapped Thorneycroft lorry in a farmyard, and set about bringing it back to life. The vehicle had been delivered to the War Office in February 1915 and is thought to have been used in France during WWI, before becoming a London brick company delivery truck, then eventually falling into disrepair. John turned back the clock, found replacement parts across a wide area and carefully restored it to pristine condition. It is now believed to be one of only four of the WWI lorries still in existence, and the restoration project had added poignancy when John was asked to make a special delivery in it. St George’s Church in Ypres is an Anglican church built in the 1920s as a memorial to the 500,000 British and Commonwealth troops who fell in the nearby battlefield. But the church never got its intended bells, until now when a recent appeal funded an initiative to hang new bells in the tower to commemorate the centenary of the end of the war. The ring of eight bells were cast at the world’s foremost bell foundry, Taylor’s of Loughborough, who arranged for their bells to be transported from the Midlands via the Menin Gate memorial to the battlefield church in Belgium in authentic style on the back of the Thorneycroft lorry. John was gratified to be asked to undertake the journey, commenting: “It is simply the most honourable thing I’ve ever done.” The Thursday Club is planning to follow in John’s footsteps and arrange a trip to the WWI battlefields, while John intends bringing his lorry to Pocklington and to school in 2018 as part of the town’s centenary commemoration of the end of WWI. Read more here. https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/ news/great-war-lorry-saved-from-scrap-set-to-hit- road-again-1-8027833 (Article: OP Phil Gilbank 67-74, Photo credit: Old Glory Magazine) OP John Marshall (64-70) with his restored Thorneycroft World War I lorry and ring of eight bells he delivered to St George’s Church in Ypres. 16