The Advocate 2022
VOL . 45 , NO . 3 www . amhca . org
• MEMBER REFLECTIONS / page 2 COVID & ME : Helping Healthcare Workers Cope With The Pandemic
By Jennifer Reckner , LPC , NCC , CCTP-II
• NEWSBRIEFS / page 7 Compiled by Kathleen McCarthy
• CLINICAL UPDATE / page 8 Client requests for Emotional Support Animal ( ESA ) Letters — an update to how federal law has changed since the magazine ’ s original article in fall 2018 . By Dr . Aaron Norton
INSIDE AMHCA page 6
• Medicare-Approved Provider Status Passes an Important Milestone
• AMHCA Annual Conference Returns to New Orleans , June 27 – 29 , 2023
• Earn CEs and Stay Current Via AMHCA webinars
• AMHCA Awardees Honored Each year the association recognizes outstanding member contributions to the profession through its award program . See this year ’ s winners !
COVER STORY :
WHAT ’ S NEW IN THE DSM-5-TR ? HERE ’ S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FOUR MAJOR AREAS OF CHANGE / page 11
The major areas of change are the addition of new disorders and codes , changes to criteria and specifiers , updated terminology , and a comprehensive update of background text .
By Gary G . Gintner , PhD , LPC-S , NCC
SPECIAL FOCUS : MILITARY MENTAL HEALTH
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST MILITARY MEN : LET ’ S BRING EQUALITY TO SCREENING AND PREVENTION / page 15 Stereotypes of military men — who are often associated with toxic masculinity , war , or combat — make it even more difficult for military men who are victims of IPV to be identified and treated . By Miya Moore-Felton , APCC , AMFT
‘ HONORING TRUTH WHILE CHALLENGING PERSPECTIVE ’; USING EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICES TO TREAT VETERANS WHO HAVE PTSD / page 20 Not only does Cognitive Processing Therapy relieve PTSD symptoms , CPT “ is the closest thing I have found to a lightbulb switch ,” the author says . By C . Rosie Bauder , PhD , MPH , LPCC
The President ‘ s Perspective / page 4 Building on the Counseling Momentum
By Fredrick Dombrowski , PhD , LMHC , CASAC , LPC , LADC , NCC , CCMHC , MAC , ACS , BC-TMH , HS-BCP , ICADC , DCMHS : 46 th AMHCA President , 2022 – 2023
From the Interim CEO / ED / page 5 Growing AMHCA — and the Counseling Profession By Beverly Smith , PhD , LPC , NCC , CCMHC , ACS , NCSC , CFT , HS-BCP , BCC , MAC , CPCS , BC-TMH , CCTP , BCPCC : AMHCA Immediate Past President , 2022 – 2023 , and Interim CEO / ED
CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELORS
Clinical mental health counseling is a distinct profession with national standards for education , training and clinical practice . Clinical mental health counselors are highly skilled professionals who provide flexible , consumer-oriented therapy . They combine traditional psychotherapy with a practical , problem-solving approach that creates a dynamic and efficient path for change and problem resolution . The mission of AMHCA is to enhance the profession of clinical mental health counseling through advocacy , education and collaboration .
ADVERTISING : Go to www . amhca . org / advertising for more information about our digital magazine advertising opportunities .
The Advocate Magazine is for AMHCA members and subscribers only . To read The Advocate Magazine online , go to www . amhca . org / advocatemag
The Advocate Magazine 2022 , Issue # 3 American Mental Health Counselors Association ( AMHCA ) www . amhca . org 33