SYHealth HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices ENG June 2020 - Page 6
who are with you or appear on your behalf (for example, to pick up a prescription). We may
also need to notify such persons of your location in our facility and general condition. If
you object to such disclosures, please notify your SYHealth health care provider. If you are
not present, or the opportunity to agree or object to a use or disclosure cannot practicably
be provided because of your incapacity or an emergency circumstance, we may exercise
professional judgment to determine whether a disclosure is in your best interests. If information
is disclosed to a family member, other relative or a close personal friend, we would
disclose only information believed to be directly relevant to the person’s involvement with
your health care or payment related to your health care.
• Research: We may disclose information to researchers when an institutional review board
that has reviewed the research proposal and established protocols to ensure the privacy
of your health information has approved their research. You may opt-out of participating in
a research study.
• Funeral Directors: We may disclose health information to funeral directors consistent
with applicable law to enable them to carry out their duties.
• Marketing Continuity of Care: We may contact you to information about treatment
alternatives or other health-related benefits and services that may be of interest to you.
You may choose to opt-out of receiving marketing information.
• Fund-raising/Development Activities: We may contact you to request a contribution to
support important SYHealth activities. For fundraising, we may disclose to our fundraising
staff demographic information about you (for example, your name, address and phone
number), dates on which we provided health care to you, information about the department
of service or treating physician, outcome information or health insurance status without
your written permission. We will provide you an opportunity to opt-out of receiving fundraising
• Victims of Abuse, Neglect or Domestic Violence: We may disclose Health Information
to governmental, licensing, auditing and accrediting agencies as authorized or required by
• Food and Drug Administration (FDA): We may disclose to the FDA your health
information relating to adverse effects/events with respect to food, drugs, supplements,
products or product defects, or post marketing surveillance information to enable product
recalls, repairs, or replacement.
• Workers Compensation: We may disclose health information to the extent authorized by
and to the extent necessary to comply with laws relating to workers compensation or other
similar programs established by law.
• Public Health: As required by law, we may disclose your health information to public
health or legal authorities charged with preventing or controlling disease, injury, disability
or reporting vital events such as births and death.
• Organ and Tissue Donation: If you are an organ donor, we may release your Health
Information to facilitate organ or tissue donation and transplantation.
• Correctional Institution: Should you be an inmate of a correctional institution, we may
disclose to the institution or agents thereof health information necessary for maintaining
your health and/or the health and safety of other individuals.
5 SYHealth | HIPAA - NPP