The Best Chocolate Cake Ever
Recipe adapted from Robyn Stone at Add a Pinch
• 2 cups all-purpose flour • 1 teaspoon espresso powder
• 2 cups sugar ( Must be powder not ground
• ¾ cup unsweetened coffee !) dark cocoa powder • 1 cup buttermilk ( I use Hershey ’ s Special • ½ cup canola oil Dark or Vahlrona Cocoa • 2 large eggs Powder for the darkest • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract chocolate cake .)
( I like the sweetness of
• 2 teaspoons baking powder Mexican vanilla extract , but
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda you can use any type .)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup boiling water
CAKE BAKING INSTRUCTIONS : 1 . Preheat oven to 350 º F . Prepare two 9-inch cake pans or three 6-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring .
2 . Add flour , sugar , cocoa , baking powder , baking soda , salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer . Whisk through to combine or , using your paddle attachment , stir through flour mixture until combined well .
3 . Add milk , vegetable oil , eggs , and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined . Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water * to the cake batter until well combined . * NOTE : Don ’ t worry after you add the boiling water ! The cake batter will be very thin , this is correct !*
4 . Distribute cake batter evenly between the prepared cake pans . Bake for 30-35 minutes , until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean .
5 . Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes . For easier stacking ; level cakes with a serrated knife by cutting off cake domes , using the top of the cake pan as a guide . Remove from the pan and cool completely .
Freezer Friendly : Let the baked cake layers cool completely . Wrap them well with plastic wrap and then with foil . Put each layer into a freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months . To serve , thaw in the refrigerator overnight with wrapping intact . The next day , the layers are ready to fill and frost .
STELLA ’ S BUTTERCREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups room temperature unsalted butter
• 12 cups powdered sugar
• 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
• 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
• ¼ teaspoon salt
FROSTING MIXING INSTRUCTIONS : 1 . Beat butter on high in stand mixer for 2-3 minutes until whipped and less yellow . 2 . With mixer on low speed , add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time . Scrape bowl and beat for 30 seconds to fully combine . 3 . Add vanilla , salt and cream . Beat on high in stand mixer for 4 minutes . 4 . Beat an additional 2 minutes on low to remove air bubbles .
TO ASSEMBLE CAKE :
1 . Place first cake layer on cake plate or cake board . Pipe frosting in rings on top of cake for filling between layers . Repeat with additional cake layers . TIP : Adding paper straws , by pushing them into the center of the cake will stabilize the cake layers and keep them from sliding while you decorate ! Just clip any extra length off at the top and remove the straws as you serve the cake .
2 . Smooth a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake ( crumb coat to catch all of the crumbs ) and refrigerate . Add final frosting layer to entire cake and smooth with a cake comb or spatula .
Try these Flavor Twists for Chocolate Cake
• CHOCOLATE CANDY CANE CAKE Reduce vanilla by ½ Tablespoon in buttercream and add ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract . Sprinkle crushed candy canes over buttercream in between cake layers . You can also make a chocolate peppermint ganache for filling and frost with peppermint buttercream .
• PEANUT BUTTER CUP CAKE Reduce butter by 4 Tablespoons in buttercream and replace with equal parts creamy peanut butter . Add additional powdered sugar if necessary to make desired consistency . Top cake with a chocolate drip and peanut butter cups !
• MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and pinch of cayenne to the buttercream . I like to fill the cake with a spiced chocolate ganache and then frost with cinnamon buttercream .
• DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE Add 8 ounces of melted and cooled chocolate to the buttercream and 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder . If frosting is too thick , add additional heavy cream in small increments and whip until desired consistency .
Stillwater Style | WINTER 2021 9