Feeling extra saucy
By Beau Simmons | Stillwater Style
Remember the good old days , when most fast food joints would give you as much ketchup as your heart desired ?
At the time of writing , we are still dealing with supply chain issues . Back in the summer , we couldn ’ t get ahold of Chick-fil-A sauce . People were actually making money selling the packets online . This fall , it was Taco Bell hot sauce .
Maybe the ketchupocalypse will have subsided by the time you ’ re reading this , but we take inspiration from these tragedies . Why not look at trying to make some of our own sauces and salad dressings ?
We pulled these from the Oklahoma Gardening section of OSU Extension . There are tons of recipes there at oklahomagardening . okstate . edu / recipes . Check it out .
For some reason there wasn ’ t a barbecue sauce , so the barbecue sauce is kind of amalgamation of nicer sauces .
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE INGREDIENTS :
• 1 pound Roma tomatoes , coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¾ teaspoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper
• 1½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar INSTRUCTIONS : Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender . Run until a rough-textured sauce results . Adjust flavors to taste . Yield : about 1½ cups , Serves 2
BUTTERMILK DRESSING INGREDIENTS :
• ¾ to 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
• ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
• ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
• ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
• ½ to 1 teaspoon grated garlic INSTRUCTIONS : Whisk together buttermilk , sour cream , wine vinegar , mustard , pepper and salt . Stir in chives and garlic . Refrigerate . Yield : 2 cups ( or 16 2 tbsp . servings )
APPLE VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS :
• ½ medium red apple , cored
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons orange juice
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
• ¼ cup vegetable oil
• 1 dash of salt INSTRUCTIONS : Core apple and cut into smaller pieces . Place all ingredients into blender and pulse until smooth . Yield : Serves 8 , 1 tbsp . servings
BARBECUE SAUCE INGREDIENTS : ½ cup ketchup 1/3 cup molasses ¼ balsamic vinegar ½ teaspoon black pepper ½ teaspoon onion powder ½ teaspoon garlic powder 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar INSTRUCTIONS : Combine .