December 2018 Counselor Corner
Finish the semester strong!!
Teasing vs Rude vs Mean vs Bullying
● Teasing: All are having fun, no one is hurt, and equal participation
● Rude: Inadvertently saying or doing something that hurts someone else
● Mean: Purposefully saying or doing something to hurt someone
● Bullying: Intentionally aggressive words or actions toward the same person, repeated over
time, that involves an imbalance of power.
TIPS for Being assertive and Resolving Minor Conflicts
● Identify and state what you are feeling
● Make clear, concise requests
● Be a good listener and collaborator
● Take turns talking
● Avoid the need to “win”, be right or blame others
● Walk away if a disagreement escalates
October 24th was the Football Playoffs pep rally so Luke Wassom of Sargent Pipe did not visit
with our Juniors and Seniors. We will reschedule his visit to our school.
Jeff Bexten, Diesel Technology Instructor at Central Community College in Hastings discussed the
skill sets students need to be successful at CCC, what the CCC graduate needs to take to the
workplace, what graduates can expect from the workplace, and answer any questions about the
program with the time remaining on November 1, 2018. Please contact Mrs. Poland if you or
someone at your workplace would like to present at a Lunch and Learn.
Connect the Dots: On Thursday, November 15, 2018, the Freshman class will be travelling to Ord
to participate in the Connect the Dots Career exploration workshop put on by UNL’s Extension
service. Students will participate in a career simulation activity, meet with employers in career
fields, listen to Postsecondary speakers, and work on resume building skills.
ACT Test Dates
January 11, 2019 is the deadline for the February 9th National ACT test. Go to www.act.org to
register. Remember to study with our OnToCollege ACT Test preparation. Some students may
qualify for an ACT fee waiver. Please have your student contact Mrs. Poland to inquire. Seniors,
remember to use the John Baylor OnToCollege website to review for your ACT test. Juniors, see
Mrs. Poland to get a jump on studying for your ACT tests.