LISTEN UP !
A quantitative analysis of key success factors for podcast marketing
Companies have started programmatic advertising in third-party podcasts and are establishing and producing their own podcasts . These corporate podcasts are intended to engage with ( potential ) B2B and B2C customers , fans , or employees . They aim to increase brand awareness , advertise products , educate , or provide in-depth perspectives into company-related topics .
CORPORATE PODCASTS – CATEGORIZING DIFFERENT TUNES AND MELODIES
The German podcast market is on an unprecedented growth track .
GERMAN PODCAST FACTS & FIGURES
• 4m listeners per day
• 10m active listeners above the age of 14
• 4m podcast episodes
Source : Wirtschaftswoche , YouGov
Depending on the primary objective and target audience , four different archetypes of corporate podcasts can be categorized ( figure 1 ). The following considerations focus on these types of podcasts with the overarching ambition of conventional product marketing with an external audience .
Source : YouGov
THE UNDERLYING THEME – MOTIVES FOR CORPORATE PODCASTS
Most companies publishing corporate podcasts aim to utilize them as marketing means by capitalizing on several advantages :
FIG . 1 CATEGORIZATION OF CORPORATE PODCASTS BY PRIMARY OBJECTIVE AND TARGET AUDIENCE
A HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE AUDIENCE
• 21 % of Germans are interested in corporate podcasts , particularly in special-interest podcasts with relevant content
• 48 % of these listeners are more prone to advertising-driven purchases vs . 27 % in the overall population
• 71 % are more attentive regarding social involvement with brands vs . 53 % in the overall population
PRIMARY GOAL INTERNAL TARGET AUDIENCE EXTERNAL
Allianz MAKLER PODCAST
Audi MITARBEITER PODCAST
ProSiebenSat . 1
• Podcasts are not perceived as advertising by their target group . A focus on dedicated topics attracts listeners who are interested in the presented content . For example , a workout equipment manufacturer can discuss different training recommendations , incorporating and promoting its products in a more subconscious way .
• Podcasts enable corporates to maintain an even stronger bond to their customers as they are published regularly . Listeners stay in touch with the company and its products as podcasts can be listened to from everywhere and at any time .
• Building an expert status and reputation in an industry is another advantage of corporate podcasts as they are used as a source of information by its listeners . Talking about one comprehensive “ umbrella topic ” and deep-diving into dedicated subtopics in individual episodes conveys the feeling of unique and differentiating expert knowledge .
• Podcasts can also be leveraged for higher digital visibility . They can be promoted for example via social media channels , websites , or other digital means . The regular production of new content enables regular advertising opportunities .
When comparing the effectiveness of podcasts to other marketing channels , recent studies suggest that podcasts motivate 34 % of their listeners to investigate a brand , company , or product due to the mechanisms described above . Across non-podcast channels with direct advertising , only 2.6 % of content consumers reported elevated levels of interest . Thus , the effectiveness of subconscious advertising via corporate podcasts can be assumed to be a factor of more than 10 compared to traditional media channels ( Edison Research ).
Source : goetzpartners analysis