ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
3 – 4 years ( full-time ) 6 – 8 years ( part-time )*
Your PhD research project is to be conceived from the outset as clearly achievable within three years equivalent full time , and you ’ re expected to complete your degree within three to four years equivalent full time .
Throughout the year
( subject to availability of supervision )
RM42,333 Malaysian student
RM46,556 International student 2021 fees per year
Our doctoral graduates use their qualification to advance their careers in :
• journalism , publishing , editing , writing , electronic media , public relations and corporate communication
• marketing , advertising , business research and analysis
• management consulting , international trade , human resources , training and development
• management and administration
• diplomacy , foreign affairs and politics
• tourism , hospitality , entertainment and leisure industries
• performing arts ( music or drama ), production , direction , management and administration
• film , television and video .
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
KPT / JPT ( R2 / 210 / 8 / 0016 ) 03 / 27 - MQA / SWA0117
The opportunity to take up independent research through the Monash Doctoral Program is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences we can offer you .
The program consists of an extensive , independent research project in your discipline of choice , supported by a minimum of two academic supervisors throughout your candidature . Your study will result in a research thesis which makes a valuable contribution to the current body of knowledge in your chosen field .
Areas of research
• Anthropology ( visual and urban )
• Critical Asian studies
• Cultural studies
• Development studies
• Film and television studies
• Gender and sexuality studies
• Human geography
• International political economy
• International relations
• Internet studies
• Literary studies
1 Normally with a research component in the fourth year .
• Media studies
• Migration studies
• Politics / political science
• Religious studies
• Urban studies .
Bachelor ’ s degree requiring four years of full-time study in a relevant field 1
Course in a relevant field rated by the University as equivalent to the above
Master ’ s degree that entails work , normally including a significant research component , including at least 25 % of one full time equivalent year of work , including a thesis .
H1 or H2A
H1 or H2A
Qualifications that the Graduate Research Committee and Monash Graduate Research Office consider equivalent to the above .
English : Monash ’ s minimum requirements apply .
* Part-time study is not available for international students .
Studying at Monash was a pleasant experience . My supervisors , the academic and professional staff , and my peers were always very supportive and my PhD journey was made a little more effortless because of them .”
DR CHOONG PUI YEE
Doctor of Philosophy ( in the area of Political Science ) Senior Analyst , Penang Institute