Sacred Places Winter 2019 - Page 5

• First Christian Reformed Church was founded when a small group of members left the Second Reformed Church of Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1857 over doctrinal differences. They founded what is now First Christian Reformed Church, and also had a role in forming the Christian Reformed Church of North America denomination. The congregation’s current building, designed by the notable Grand Rapids firm of J. & G. Daverman, was dedicated in 1912. First CRC used its $100,000 National Fund award to restore the stained glass windows, repoint exterior masonry, and replace the boiler. • Grace United Methodist Church is an excellent example of late Gothic Revival architecture, unique in the East Dallas neighborhood. It was designed by W. A. Cann, a leading church architect from St. Louis, and incorporates stained glass windows that were created by the Kansas City Stained Glass Studios. In order to maintain its magnificent structure, Grace UMC used its $100,000 National Fund award to seal the building’s envelope and repair damage caused by water infiltration. • St. Paul’s United Methodist Church descended from one of the earliest Methodist congregations in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, founded in 1840. In 1909, St. Paul’s commissioned architect Louis Sullivan—often called one of the fathers of modern architecture—to design a worship place and Sunday School for the growing Methodist congregation. After Sullivan resigned in 1912 over budget disputes, his design was simplified and completed by W.C. Jones in 1914. St. Paul’s received an award from the National Fund of $250,000 to update its heating and cooling system. Other finished projects include: Christ Church in Philadelphia, Pa.; Center Church in Hartford, Conn.; The Lutheran Church of the Reformation in Washington, D.C.; North Christian Church in Columbus, Ind.; Shrine of Christ the King in Chicago, Ill.; and Trinity United Methodist Church in Idaho Falls, Idaho. National Fund team visit to Grace United Methodist Church, Dallas Photo: Chad Martin The National Fund 2019 Cohort Thanks to generous support from Lilly Endowment, Inc., the National Fund is excited to embark on another four-year cycle of funding. Fifty more congregations will be invited to participate beginning in 2020 and continuing through 2024. Partners and the Trust look forward to working in new geographic regions with more faith traditions, growing our collective capacity to save these important historic landmarks. In this spirit, we congratulate the National Fund’s most recent awardees in the 2019–2020 cycle: • St. Charles Avenue Baptist Church, New Orleans, La. • Lovely Lane United Methodist Church, Baltimore, Md. • St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Syracuse, N.Y. • Second Presbyterian Church, Chicago, Ill. • First Congregational Church, Sheridan, Wyo. • Honpa Hongwanji Hawaii Betsuin, Honolulu, Hawaii • National City Christian Church, Washington, D.C. • First Congregational Church of Long Beach, Calif. • St. Vincent de Paul Parish, Philadelphia, Pa. • Trinity Episcopal Church, Abbeville, S.C. SACRED PLACES • WINTER 2019 5