Rockport Texas - The History, Legends & Lore 1st Printing | Page 29

In 1747, Captain Basterra visited Paraje de los Copanes (El Cópano), and there is a legend which has persisted, that José de Escandon chose the site for a pueblo and presidio. Researchers have reported that José actually did have an adobe pueblo built there and an ayuntamiento or municipal council, but no records have ever been found - very possibly lost over the course of 300 years. Also, adobe doesn’t fair so well in the humid South Texas environment. By 1749 there was plenty of direct traffic between La Bahia (Goliad) and El Cópano, and shipments were making their way from Tampico and Vera Cruz to Copano bay. The voyage by sea was considered far safer than the overland journey to Matamoros through the most inhospitable wilds of South Texas. By 1767, it was considered a significant port to the Spanish, not only to La Bahia but to Bexar (San Antonio), and in 1785 the Viceroy, Galvez, declared El Cópano an official port of New Spain. Piracy and smuggling had become so rampant around the copano bay area that the Spanish stationed a garrison at Aranzazu on Live Oak Point, and there was yet another at either Paraje de los Copanes or close to Mission Bay. By the 1780’s, Port El Cópano had a warehouse (or customhouse) and a water tank. 28 LORE: It’s a Cob, and it’s the only type of Spanish coin that you will likely find in South Texas. Made in New Spain (Mexico); the word ‘Cob’ comes from the Spanish phrase, “Cabo de Barra”, which means the “end of the bar” - such as a bar of silver. The last Cob was minted in 1733, but they remained in use as United States ‘Legal Tender’ until the year 1850.