Melbourne Festival works closely with Multicultural Arts Victoria
(MAV) to build bonds with diverse local artists and communities
from varied backgrounds, and connect them with the vibrant arts
our city has to offer.
Our 2011 collaborations included:
• masterclass led by Leila Buck of Aftermath (New York Theater
Workshop), tailored to a group of Melbourne’s leading theatre
makers and cultural producers with refugee backgrounds. This
was held at the Malthouse Theatre, 12th October, with 17 local
• dance workshop with Jecko Siompo from We Came from the
East, Indonesia’s world renowned dance choreographer from
Papua. This was held at the Malthouse Theatre, with 10 local
• Food Sharing Workshop based on a local version of Journey’s
of Love and More Love with England’s award winning motiroti
Company. This workshop was open to anyone who was prepared
to shared their stories of migration and how this may be
represented via their dinner tables. This was held at Arts House,
Meat Market, 1st October with 20 local participants.
• he introduction of a Festival Ambassador’s program titled
‘Igniting Imagination’. This involved six prominent and active
members of Melbourne’s culturally diverse artistic communities
to take an active role in promoting their Festival experience to
their specific communities.
The cornerstone of the Festival’s education program are the
‘Education Resource Packs’ and the ‘Schools Program Brochure’,
which includes the $15 student ticketing form, encouraging student
and school participation. Below is a highlight of the statistics from
the 2011 Education program.
• Festival show education resource packs available for free
download from the Festival website generated 782 downloads.
• he schools program brochure was mailed to 1,240 teachers via
the Festival’s database, teacher organizations and venues and
generated 3,003 downloads.
• 011 total student tickets sold – 1,066
• op five shows attended by schools in 2011:
• The Rehearsal, Playing the Dane – 241 attendees
• Political Mother – 163 attendees
• Hedda Gabler – 117 attendess
• Tom Tom Crew – 88 attendees
• Aftermath – 78 attendees