US Government and Politics Seminar Prerequisite / Selection Process : AP Government and Politics Intended Audience : Grade 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Analysis of topics such as the U . S . Constitution , political beliefs and behavior , interest groups , mass media , institutions of government , public policy , civil rights and civil liberties Instructional Focus : Preparation to take National Advanced Placement exam
FOUNDATIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Globe Trekker Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credits Major Outcomes :
• Exploring the world around us
• Dispel common misconceptions of other regions of the world
• Create project of experiences with , pictures , letters , postcards , etc .
• Research : History , landmarks , language , traditions , religions , food , etiquette , architecture , art , transportation
• Focus on regions of the world that is different / more in depth from other courses
Instructional Focus : Research , discussion , projects , activities , etc
America Through Multimedia Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Learn the origins and evolution of various types of popular media including : radio , film , social media , and video games
• Understand how history has shaped multimedia and how major forms of media have impacted history and culture
Instructional Focus : Class discussions , projects , journaling and film analysis .
Modern Global Issues Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Students will understand the world from a variety of perspectives
• Should all people have access to the same basic rights ?
• Analyze global human rights such as sex trafficking , child labor , access to clean water , and food security
• Understand the history and modern relevance of global and domestic terrorism and extremism
• Investigate the impact of the changing global environment
• Debate privacy rights in the face of foreign and domestic spying and cyber security
• Global response to outbreaks of disease and natural disasters
Instructional Focus : Instruction is presented in a
variety of ways : class discussion , individual research , student driven presentations , small and large group activities , simulations , and the use of technology and geographical tools .
Multicultural Perspectives Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Students will analyze how the concepts of Power and Privilege impact how we each experience the world differently and will be evaluated through a multicultural lens in the following areas of study : Race , Gender , Ethnicity , LGBTQ , Disability
• Students will gain exposure to the cultural richness of the Greater Twin Cities Area
• Research how groups have maintained their culture while becoming part of the Minnesota tradition . Examples of groups include : Southeast Asian [ Hmong , Vietnamese , etc .], Scandinavian [ Norwegian , Swedish , etc .], African [ Liberian , Somalian , etc .], Latino , Soviet Bloc , and others .
Instructional Focus : Discussion - Socratic Seminar , Sociological Observation , Research Papers , Group Presentations
Honors African-American History Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit The African American History course is designed to develop an understanding of the causes , character , and consequences of the African-American experience and its influence on the world , the United States , and the African-American community . Beginning with a historical , geographical , social , political , economic , and cultural understanding from the African continent , the course will provide a descriptive and corrective overview , introducing the student to the study of both the African and African-American experiences . Major Outcomes :
• Study of major events in U . S . History from the perspective of African Americans
• Study of diverse peoples who created the American story
Instructional Focus : Journaling , class discussions , projects , lecture , book / article reading , and various other forms of media .
Youth Issues Intended Audience : Grades 9 , 10 , 11 , and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Effective communication skills in personal , family , and social situations
• Analysis of issues which affect youth Instructional Focus : Discussion
Sociology Intended Audience : Grades 11 and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Sociological Perspectives-Introduction to Sociology [ contributors , key concepts ], research
• Culture / Social Structure-culture , socialization , groups / status , and deviance
• Social Inequality-racial / ethnic , and gender discrimination
• Social Institutions-family : marriage , divorce , domestic violence , sports , religion , or education .
Instructional Focus : Discussion , lecture , group activities , simulations , and research
Psychology I Intended Audience : Grades 11 and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• History of psychology
• Scientific method
• Brain structure and function
• Impact of genetics and environment or personality
Mental disorders and treatment Instructional Focus : Discussion , lecture , group activities , experiments , observations , fields and methods of psychology
Psychology II Intended Audience : Grades 11 and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Sensation and perception
• Motivation and emotion
• State of consciousness
• Development — child through adulthood
• Social psychology Instructional Focus : Discussion , lecture , group activities , experiments , observations and fields and methods of psychology
AP Psychology Intended Audience : Grades 11 and 12 Credit : Two trimesters = 1.0 credit Major Outcomes : Research methods
• Exploration of self and relationships
• Impact of genetics and environment on personality
• Theories of learning and memory Instructional Focus : This course is equivalent to an introductory college [ psychology ] course .
LAW , PUBLIC SAFETY , CORRECTIONS , AND SE- CURITY
Criminal Justice Intended Audience : Grades 11 and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Knowledge of crime , criminals and victims , role of police , and court systems and corrections
Instructional Focus : Class activities and guest speakers