BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING
BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES REQUIRED COURSES
Computer Skills for Biomed and Engineering [ CRHS only ] Intended Audience : Grade 9 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Proficiency in word processing , spreadsheet , database , graphic and charting presentations
• Introduction to gaming Projects , Activities , etc .: Business and personal documents , computer-generated presentations Instructional Focus : Hands-on computerized activities and Microsoft Office software .
Honors English 10 Biomed and Engineering [ CRHS only ] Intended Audience : Grade 10 Credit : Two trimesters = 1.0 credit Major Outcomes :
• Rhetorical analysis
• . Interpretation and evaluation of literature and informational texts
• Understanding of fiction and nonfiction
• Public Speaking
• Technical Writing Instructional Focus : Connection between rhetoric , medicine , and engineering including medical or engineering texts options and technical writing .
Coll Honors Biology Biomed [ CRHS only ] Composed of SCSU BIOL 102 [ The Living World ] Prerequisite / Selection Process : Acceptance into Biomedical Sciences Program at CRHS Intended Audience : Grade 11 Credit : Two trimesters = 1.0 credit , successful completion will earn 3 college credits . Major Outcomes : Students will understand :
• The nature of science , its methods , scope , and limitations
• Cell function
• The genetic basis of life
• Major concepts and theories of diversity , evolution , and ecology
• Plant form and function
• Organization and general function of the human body
• Significant biological issues facing society Projects , Activities , etc .: Lab investigations and write-ups , research , presentations and college campus visit Instructional Focus : Small and large group lecture , field and lab activities and use of college text
Human Performance and Wellness [ CRHS only ] Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , and 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit , Meets PE II requirement Major Outcomes :
• Expose future health professionals to the world where athletics meets academics . Students will research training options after thorough investigation of various abilities and health histories of participants .
Projects , Activities , etc .: Hands on training equipment and body sensors to optimize health and wellness of all citizens , Career and Education Research Instructional Focus : This course allows students to use the latest technology and hands-on learning opportunities to blend academics with athletics .
Medical Terminology and Careers Biomed [ CRHS only ] [ Students may earn Articulated College Credit ] Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , 12 Credit : One trimester = 0.5 credit Major Outcomes :
• Medical terminology
• Career exploration Projects , Activities , etc .: Field trips and guest presenters Instructional Focus : Taught by a health professional , guest presenters Co-curricular Connection : HOSA
PLTW Honors Principles of Biomedical Sciences [ CRHS only ] Intended Audience : Grades 9 and 10 Credit : Two trimesters = 1.0 credit PLTW college credit can be earned Major Outcomes :
• Investigate various health conditions
• Determine the factors that led to the death of a fictional person
• Investigate lifestyle choices and medical treatments that might prolong life .
• Provides an overview of all the courses in the Biomedical Sciences program and lays the scientific foundation for subsequent courses .
Projects , Activities , etc .: Projects and problems designed with technology-rich curriculum Instructional Focus : Research and design techniques on experiments and projects .
PLTW Honors Human Body Systems A & B [ CRHS only ] Prerequisite / Selection Process : PLTW Honors Principles of the Biomedical Sciences Intended Audience : Grades 10 , 11 , 12 Credit : Two trimesters = 1.0 credit PLTW college credit can be earned Major Outcomes :
• Examine interactions of body systems
• Design experiments using data acquisition software
• Explore science in action using real world cases
• Play the role of biomedical professionals to solve medical mysteries
Projects , Activities , etc .: Projects and problems , Use manikins to build body systems , Utilize specialized software for hands-on learning Instructional Focus : Technology rich research and design .
PLTW Honors Medical Interventions [ CRHS only ] Prerequisite / Selection Process : PLTW Honors Human Body Systems Intended Audience : Grades 11 and 12 Credit : Two Trimesters = 1.0 Credit PLTW college credit can be earned Major Outcomes :
• Students will investigate how to prevent , diagnose , and treat disease by exploring how to detect and fight infection ; screen and evaluate the code in human DNA ; evaluate cancer treatment options ; and prevail when the organs of the body begin to fail .
Projects , Activities , etc .: Real world applications with project based activities Instructional Focus : Technology-driven curriculum
PLTW Honors Biomedical Innovation [ CRHS only ] Prerequisite / Selection Process : PLTW Honors Medical Interventions Intended Audience : Grade 12 Credit : Three trimesters = 1.5 credits PLTW college credit can be earned Major Outcomes :
• Students will design innovative solutions for the most pressing health challenges of the 21st century by addressing topics ranging from public health and biomedical engineering to clinical medicine and physiology .
Projects , Activities , etc .: Real world applications with project based activities Instructional Focus : Independent design project with a mentor or advisor from a university , medical facility , or research institution .