DELEGATES MEETING HIGHLIGHTS • SEPTEMBER 16 , 2020 • VIA TELECONFERENCE CALL
ELECTED OFFICIALS ’ REPORTS
SENATOR LORI BERMAN
• Problems with unemployment insurance and small businesses continue , but to a lesser degree .
• Please continue precautions regarding COVID-19 .
• To those celebrating , wishes a Happy , Healthy New Year . REPRESENTATIVE JOSEPH CASELLO
• Overall , COVID-19 cases are down , but PBC is seeing increases in cases of those aged 18-34 .
• There has not been an announcement yet as to when and how the legislature will convene .
• The State deficit is significant . SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVE KAREN BRILL
• Students in Pre-K through Grade 12 , self-contained ESE programs and ESE special schools can return to campus beginning today , September 16 .
• Brick and mortar campuses reopen to all students on Monday , Sept 21 . Only about half of the students are planning to return .
• Be aware of school buses , as campuses reopen .
• To those celebrating , wishes a Happy , Healthy , New Year . COMMISSIONER MARY LOU BERGER AND TAX COLLECTOR ANNE GANNON
• Were unable to attend the meeting but send their regards .
FIRST RESPONDERS ’ REPORTS PBSO MAJOR CHRISTOPHER KEENE
• PBSO is appreciative of the continuing support of COBWRA .
• Thanks to Sheriff Bradshaw for his leadership .
• Explained that the Jacob ’ s Shoes program , coordinated by Lt . Adazzio and Abby Bernstein , collected 280 pairs of shoes and 1,500 pairs of socks for kids .
• Be cautious of the many unsolicited phone and on-line scams asking seniors for money and / or help . Don ’ t become a victim - Hang up !
PBC FIRE RESCUE BATALLION CHIEF ANTHONY TOZZI
• Emergency calls have not dipped significantly .
• Seeing significant numbers of cases of prescription drug interactions causing falls during the night . Double check with your physician if you are taking Ambien and Lasix .
• Increase in senior citizen texting while driving accidents .
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS REPORT BETH RAPPAPORT ON BEHALF OF DONALD E . FENNOY II , ED . D
• All schools will reopen on Monday , 9 / 21 .
• Parents will have the choice of students attending class or continuing distance learning .
• Students and staff will adhere to CDC guidelines by being required to wear masks and adhere to social distancing .
Next Meeting : October 21 , 2020 • 9:30 AM • Via Teleconference
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS COMMITTEE CHAIR STEVE WALLACE
• The “ Meet the Candidates Forum ” will be held on Thursday , October 1 at 6:30 PM by teleconference call .
• All candidates for state and county offices in the COBWRA area will participate , along with Palm Beach Soil & Water Conservation District Candidates .
PRESIDENT ’ S REPORT – BETH RAPPAPORT
• Announced that the COBWRA Directory will be published in two parts ; the first part , containing general information , will be available online and will be updated after the General Election . The second part has private information and will be mailed to each COBWRA delegate and alternate in October . Flyers from local businesses will be included in the mailer envelope . This enables us to take advantage of the benefits of sponsorship without compromising our confidential mailing list .
• All COBWRA member communities annual dues are paid .
• The website will be getting a facelift in the future .
• Remember to complete your part of the 2020 CENSUS .
FEATURED PRESENTATION Palm Beach County Office of Equal Opportunity and a Guide to Fair Housing - Presented by Pam Guerrier , Director , PBC Palm Beach County Office of Equal Opportunity
• Ms . Guerrier gave an overview of the laws and jurisdictional boundaries that guide the office .
• She explained the Guide to Fair Housing and spoke about the types of complaints that her office deals with .
• Share the presentation with your communities .
• For more information : Phone - ( 561 ) 355-4883 , Fax - ( 561 ) 355-4932 , Website - www . pbcgov . com / equalopportunity
Highlights by Bruce Brodsky and Debbie Murphy