Philippine Asian News Today Vol 18 No 20 | Page 16

A16 PHILIPPINE ASIAN NEWS TODAY October 16 - 31, 2016 The Notary Corner By Editha Corrales Nelson Immigration Consultant, Notary Public, Mediation / Arbitrator When it is time for your children to come and be with you in Canada Many of my clients who have children in the Philippines do not realize that they must abide by a number of requirements in order for their children to travel outside of the Philippines. The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is mandated to protect minors against trafficking, abuse, exploitation and other conditions prejudicial to their physical, mental, emotional, social and moral development. Hence, one of the measures instituted to prevent child trafficking is the issuance of a travel clearance for minors. The Department of Social Welfare and Development advises the following: A Travel Clearance is a document issued by the DSWD Field Offices or its attached agency, the Inter-Country Adoption Board (ICAB), whichever is TRAVEL CLEARANCES / PARENTAL TRAVEL PERMITS applicable to a Filipino minor who is below 18 years of age travelling outside of the Philippines, unaccompanied by his/her parents or those exercising parental authority and legal custody of the child. It certifies that a minor is authorized to travel abroad for valid reasons based on the assessment of the social worker. A Parental Travel Permit is a written permission executed by anyone of the biological parents or legal guardian who will be left behind or not in the company of the child when he / she leaves the country, allowing the concerned minor to travel abroad with the other parent / guardian. Who is Required to Submit a Travel Clearance A Filipino child/minor (a person below 18 years old) traveling to Canada who is in any of the following circumstances: - Travelling alone; - Travelling with a person other than anyone of his/her parents or those exercising parental authority and legal custody of the child; Travelling for the purpose of adoption abroad Minor adopted in the Philippines and An illegitimate child travelling with his/her father. Who can File for Travel Clearance? A minor who is 13 17 years of age; The minor’s parent or legal guardian; The minor’s travelling companion; and A u t h o r i z e d representative of parent / legal guardian. When does one Apply for Travel Clearance? An application for travel clearance must be filed at least seven (7) working days before the scheduled departure of the minor or even earlier if the minor still has to get a passport. What are the requirements for minors travelling for the first time: 1. Birth Certificate on security paper (SECPA) of the minor – NSO Authenticated; 2. Certified copy of marriage certificate of minor’s parents, if appropriate; 3. Notarized affidavit of consent from parent/ guardian authorizing a particular person to accompany the child in his/ her travel abroad; 4. Certified copy of any evidence to show capability of the person or sponsor shouldering the travel expenses or the minor such as: Certificate of Employment Latest Income Tax Return Bank Statement, etc. 5. Two passport size pictures of minor; and 6. Photo copy of passport of travelling companion. What are the requirements WWW.PHILIPPINEASIANNEWSTODAY.COM for minors traveling with one parent/ 1. Duly notarized Parental Travel Permit 2. Birth Certificate on security paper (SECPA) of the minor 3. Certified copy of marriage contract of parents 4. Photo copy of passport and visa of accompanying parent For subsequent travels, the following are the only documents required: 1. Previous Parental Travel Permit duly stamped by DSWD. 2. Photo copy of passport and visa of accompanying parent. 3. Duly notarized Parental Travel Permit A Filipino child travelling with both his/her parents is not required to secure a travel clearance.