OurBrownCounty 19Sept-Oct | Page 48

COMMON GROUNDS

COFFEE BAR It’ s like a coffee shop in a living room( with things to amuse you)
Hot, Cold & Frozen Drinks • Selection of Teas Froothies( our fruit smoothies)
Famous for Cheesy Eggs & Toast • Pastries • Quiche
66 N. Van Buren, Nashville( Molly’ s Lane behind the red door) Opens 8:00 am M-Sat; 9:00 am Sun( Closed Wed) 812-988-6449

Ice Cream COTTAGE

Buy Any Item, Get One Free with coupon, expires 11-30-19 Lunches Served Daily
Famous for our Taco Salads We Deliver •( 812) 988-7395 • Open every day
79 N. Van Buren, Nashville, IN • Iris Garden Complex( near the courthouse on the north end of town)
Gnaw Bone Country Store & Bakery
* Homemade Baked Goods * Antiques * Local Products * Artist Goods
4883 SR 46 E. Gnaw Bone, IN
812-988-4266 www. gnawbonebakery. com gnawbonecsbakery @ gmail. com
Open Daily • Closed Tuesdays
38 Franklin St. E. | Nashville, IN | drinkatthecreek. com | Open Every Day
LIBRARY 100 continued from 43 Illness forced Mrs. Allison to retire in 1952. Her successor, Edna Frazier, was an experienced librarian from the small northern Indiana community of Bluffton who had moved to Nashville in 1941.
For the next 40 years, Mrs. Frazier would be a friendly, pleasant, and helpful fixture at the library, overseeing the expansion of its collection and serving residents with dedication and understanding.
In the 1950s, Mrs. Frazier developed a summer reading club which helped countless county children by reinforcing their reading skills. At the beginning of each school year, she offered books to each teacher in the county schools to be used and distributed. She retired in 1982. In 1983, the library moved to a location that is now the Career Resource Center on East Main Street and got a new librarian, Char Skirvin. She supervised, not only another physical move, but the impact of changing times and technology on the library, with the rising popularity of audiobooks, videos, and other electronic media.
She was succeeded by Ian Engle in 1989, who was replaced by Yvonne Oliger in 1992.
In 2001, Mrs. Oliger oversaw the greatest transition of all, as the library built and moved to an impressive permanent home, the majestic wood and stone structure at 205 Locust Lane.
In 2013, current library director Stori Snyder took the helm.
She says the Centennial Celebration is about a philosophy of sharing. Libraries share what they have and share it with everybody, without exclusions or exceptions.
That currently includes about 70,000 physical items in its collections, and access to electronic technology which increases that number by the hundreds of thousands.
The library has displays of everything from Brown County pottery and the photographs of Frank Hohenberger to paintings by many well-known Brown County artists.
Thanks to a bequest from Onya LaTour, the library provides much needed meeting space and has become a magnet for the community, offering all sorts of beneficial programming.
More than two-thirds of county residents have active library cards. •
48 Our Brown County • Sept./ Oct. 2019