LOVE ME DO QUINOA VEGAN BURGER
Makes two burgers
20g quinoa, uncooked
1 portobello mushroom, cut into 3-4 cm slices
½ tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp chaat masala
200g chickpeas, tinned
1 tsp tahini
1 tsp soy sauce
1 garlic, cloves
pinch cumin seeds
pinch garam masala
2 dried apricots, thinly sliced
1 tsp parsley, finely chopped
pinch cumin, ground
1 tsp coriander, ground
avocado, peeled & sliced
plum tomatoes sliced
tabasco or chilli sauce
2 wholemeal burger buns
cucumber or dill pickle
1. Cook the quinoa per the packet instructions and then leave it to cool.
BLUSHING BACON & PEPPER FRITTATA
125g mixed peppers
400g potatoes, peeled and halved
75g smoked bacon lardons
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled & finely chopped
¼ iceberg lettuce, torn
black pepper to season
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and then shallow fry the mushrooms
with the chaat masala until they soften and lightly brown and then
let them cool.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
3. Combine the drained chickpeas, tahini, soy sauce and garlic in a food
processor and pulse them until they are almost a smooth paste.
2. Simmer the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.
Drain and leave to cool slightly before slicing thinly.
4. Add the parsley and any salt you need to taste. Be careful,
though: the chaat masala and soy sauce are both salty.
3. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan then add the bacon lardons
and dry-fry for 5 minutes, until browned.
5. Turn the chickpea paste into a large bowl and add the breadcrumbs,
dried apricots mushrooms and quinoa. Mix them thoroughly and then
leave them in the fridge to settle for about 15 minutes.
4. Remove using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion and garlic
to the pan, and fry in the remaining bacon fat for 5 minutes until
softened. Add the chopped peppers and cook through. Stir through
the lardons, then transfer to a bowl.
6. Form 2 equal-sized patties and place them onto a baking tray lined
with baking paper. Let them firm up in the fridge for at least two
hours; the longer the better.
7. Once the burgers are ready for the oven, make sure the oven
is heated at 200C and then bake them for 20-25 minutes until
they are golden.
8. Serve them hot with the garnishes.
5. Lightly beat the eggs and add to the bowl and then carefully fold in the
potatoes and peas and mix together. Pour the mixture into baking tin
lined with baking paper. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
6. Slice and serve with the torn lettuce.
Tip: for a vegetarian option leave out the bacon, use a little oil to
cook the onions and garlic and use some drained baked beans with a pinch