CUPID VANILLA WHOOPIE PIES
Makes nine large pies
100g butter, softened
185g caster sugar
1 medium egg
350g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1½tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream icing
50g butter, softened
200g icing sugar
For the glacé icing
200g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
100g ready-rolled icing
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
3. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg until smooth, then stir in the flour,
bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
4. Add the milk and vanilla. Stir to combine.
5. Using an ice cream scoop or a dessert spoon, place 18 spoonfuls
on the tray, well-spaced apart, and bake for 15 minutes until golden
brown and just firm to the touch.
6. Leave on the tray for 5 minutes before removing to cool.
7. To make the buttercream, place the butter in a bowl with
½tsp of boiling water. Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
Use to sandwich the whoopie halves together.
8. To make the glacé icing, mix the icing sugar with ½tsp water to make
a very thick, pourable icing. Drizzle over the whoopies.
9. Dust a work surface with icing sugar and roll out the ready-rolled
icing thinly. Cut out heart shapes with a cutter to decorate
the whoopies with.