BASIL AND SOFT FRUIT TERRINE
6 leaves of gelatine
200g caster sugar
1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips
500g strawberries, with leaves removed
12 large fresh basil leaves, plus extra for decoration
Small tub crème frâiche
1. Line a 1kg terrine mould or loaf tin with cling film, allowing lots of cling film
to fall over the sides. Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water
2. Meanwhile, bring the 500ml water to the boil in a saucepan and add
the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Pour away the water from the softened gelatine and lightly squeeze out
any excess water. Slip the wet sheets into the hot sugar syrup and stir
for a few seconds until dissolved. Transfer into a jug.
4. Pick through the strawberries and raspberries and set aside a few of the
smallest strawberries and most perfect raspberries for decoration. Slice the
5. Half-fill a large bowl with very, very cold water and add several ice cubes.
6. Pour a layer, about 1-2cm deep, of the liquid jelly into the base of the
terrine mould or loaf tin and place in the bowl of iced water. It should set
quickly. Add a layer of the prepared fruit, then pour over a little more liquid
jelly. Press down into the jelly any fruits that bob up to the surface. Again,
allow to set, then arrange a few basil leaves over the top. Continue adding
layers of fruit, jelly and basil leaves in the same way.
7. When all the fruits are used up and neatly submerged in jelly, place the
terrine in the refrigerator to chill completely, preferably overnight.
8. To turn out the terrine, hold the tin over a wet oval serving platter or board
9. shake down firmly. The mould should slip out without the need to dip
in hot water.
10. Peel off the cling film. Cut the terrine into 2cm slices and arrange on
11. Put on a blob of crème frâiche and decorate with strawberries, raspberries
and basil leaves.
BANANA ICE PARFAIT
500ml soya milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp artificial sweetener, such as Splenda
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 3 minutes
until very smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture to a freezer-proof container and freeze until firm.