APPLE, GINGER & MUSTARD SOUP
50ml olive oil
110g onion, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
60g leek, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
450g bramley apples, cored but not peeled
50g fresh ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
900ml vegetable stock
200ml crème frâiche
175g grain mustard
2 tsp English mustard
1. Put the oil and all the prepared vegetables into a large saucepan
with the garlic, ginger and apples.
2. Fry them lightly without colouring. Mix in the flour, then the
vegetable stock. Combine well and bring to the boil. Simmer
for forty minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor
3. Return to a clean saucepan and mix in the mustards, sugar and
crème frâiche. Re-boil and taste the soup. Season with salt
and pepper if required.
4. Garnish with some finely diced apples, gherkins and croutons.
LOW-FAT CAESAR SALAD
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 anchovy fillets
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
40g parmesan cheese, grated
100g bio low-fat plain yogurt
2 heads romaine lettuce
115g croutons, low fat
1. First make the dressing. Place the garlic, anchovies, ground
pepper, lemon juice, mustard, honey, Parmesan and yogurt in a
blender and process till smooth. Chill for at least two hours.
2. Rinse the lettuce, drain and spin or pat dry. Cut crossways and
refrigerate until needed.
3. Toss the lettuce together with the dressing and croutons. Serve.