Ottumwa Life We Are Ottumwa - Ottumwa Life Summer 2021 - Page 21
greater second st . district | ottumwa , ia
Built for business
Dedicated in 2016 , the Greater Second Street Historic District is one of the newer districts in Ottumwa added to the National Register of Historic Places . The structures in the district were constructed between 1902 and 1930 , according to Courier archives . “ That was a time when Ottumwa was growing , maturing ,” architectural historian Molly Myers-Naumann said at the dedication ceremony . “[ Several buildngs ] were designed by architects , which was almost unheard of at the time .”
At the time of its dedication , the Second Street District included 14 buildings . One , the Tudor revival-style Benson Building housing The Bridal Cottage built in 1930 , was lost to fire in January 2018 . It was one of three buildings listed on the registry as an individual building , The other two are the Benson Block building at 108-112 N . Market St ., now home to Tequila Grill ; and the J . W . Garner Building at 222-224 E . Second St ., which has undergone significant renovations in the past decade .
Other buildings in the district include the Ottumwa Courier Building , built in 1921 in the Egyptian Revival style ; the Utt Building at 226-232 E . Second St .; the Electric Building at 209-211 E . Second St .; the former YMCA building at 231 E . Second St ., now home to Jubilee Bible Church ; the Iowa Telephone Company at 116 N . Green
St .; the building at 220 E . Second St ., which is now home to Lee ’ s Photography ; and the Potter Building , also known as the McNutt Building or Ottumwa Railway and Electric Building at 201-205 E . Second St ./ 106 N . Market St ., which was built in the classical revival style .
The single-story building at 207 E . Second St . is somewhat of an anomaly tucked in between the district ’ s larger buildings , and two additional buildings are unique in that they were built as a result of the new automotive industry .