On the QT | The Official Newsletter of GWA February - March 2017 - Page 2

Career Next 2017 Summit : Rising Tides in Horticulture
F E B R U A R Y - M A R C H 2 0 1 7
PUBLISHER GWA 355 Lexington Ave ., 15th Floor New York , NY 10017 Phone : 212-297-2198 info @ gardenwriters . org
On the QT is the membership newsletter of the GWA : The Association for Garden Communicators . It is published bimonthly and distributed electronically .
© 2017 GWA All rights reserved
DIRECTORS Region I C . L . Fornari ( 2019 N ) The Garden Lady Carmen DeVito ( 2017 R ) Groundworks Inc . Jan Johnsen ( 2018 R ) Johnsen Landscapes & Pools
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ’ S MESSAGE
MARIA UNGARO

When the Board of Directors met back in September , it reaffirmed our goals and objectives for 2017 .

EDITORIAL Jo Ellen Meyers Sharp editor jemsharp @ sbcglobal . net
Cathy Wilkinson Barash copy editor thebloominggourmet @ gmail . com
Paul Wilson graphic designer paul @ paulwilsondesign . com
ADVERTISING Ashley Hodak Sullivan 212-297-2198 info @ gardenwriters . org
CIRCULATION Ashley Hodak Sullivan 212-297-2198 info @ gardenwriters . org
The information contained in articles and advertisements herein represents the opinions of the authors and advertisers , and although believed to be accurate and complete , is not represented or warranted by GWA to be accurate or complete . GWA disclaims any and all responsibility for damages suffered as a result of reliance on information contained herein .
2016-17 GWA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President Kirk R . Brown John Bartram Lives
Vice President Becky Heath Brent & Becky ’ s Bulbs
Treasurer Jo Ellen Meyers Sharp Write for You ! LLC
Secretary Maria Zampini UpShoot LLC
Past President Larry Hodgson Horticom Inc .
Region II Denise Schreiber ( 2017 N ) Allegheny County Parks Dept . Louise Clarke ( 2017 R ) Morris Arboretum Kate J . Copsey ( 2018 R ) Freelance
Region III Diane Blazek ( 2019 N ) All-America Selections / National Garden Bureau Beth Botts ( 2018 R ) Morton Arboretum Susan Martin ( 2017 R ) Gardener Sue ’ s News
Region IV Brienne Gluvna Arthur ( 2018 N ) Brie Arthur Consulting Cheval Opp ( 2017 R ) Cheval ’ s Garden Tours Barbara Wise ( 2018 R ) Crescent Garden , LLC
Region V Bill Johnson ( 2019 N ) Bill Johnson Nature Stock Photography Inc . Rita Perea ( 2018 R ) International Contemplative Garden Association Kelly Norris ( 2017 R ) Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
Region VI Nan Sterman ( 2017 N ) Plant Soup Inc . Jacqueline Soule ( 2018 R ) Gardening with Soule Lydia Plunk ( 2017 R ) Freelance
Region VII Ken Brown ( 2018 N ) gardening-enjoyed . com Wendy Downing ( 2018 R ) Freelance Tony Spencer ( 2017 R ) Freelance
Create Member Value : Our priority has been and continues to be about creating value for our members and to grow our membership . Good news is 89 percent of you think that GWA value is comparable or better than other green or communications organizations . We still have some work to do with the other 11 percent . We want to use 2017 to help you maximize your membership .
Recruit Volunteers / Engage Our Members : GWA is an amazing network of people . One of the best ways to get involved is to join a committee because it allows you to work closely with individuals you might not otherwise get to know . Foster relationships , and through participation , you can build your brand in the GWA community .
Continue to Reposition and Rebrand GWA : Now that a strong foundation is in place , we can continue our work repositioning the organization so that we can be the recognized education resource for the industry .
Achieve Financial Sustainability Within Two Fiscal Cycles : In 2016 , we were able to cut our loss by 60 percent compared to 2015 . We did this through a combination of cutting expenses and increasing revenue . A big thank-you to our leadership , who tightened their belts and increased revenue through sponsorship and recruitment . You can help , too . March is Membership Month ( please see page 20 for details ). Know people who should be a member ? Recruit them . You will get a $ 20 credit towards your dues and you might even win some books from St . Lynn ’ s Press . Your friend ( s ) will thank you .
It was great to see so many of you at MANTS and TPIE . I look forward to seeing you again soon in Buffalo !
Career Next 2017 Summit : Rising Tides in Horticulture
Mark your calendars for Saturday , September 16 , 2017 ! GWA ’ s Career Next 2017 Summit will be heading to Magnolia Plantation in Charleston , South Carolina , with new education , new tours and a new theme focused on future professional careers in our industry : Rising Tides of Horticulture .
N = National director • R = Regional director • Date = term expires
2