OH! Magazine - Australian Version August 2016 - Page 19
This is a fantastic recipe from Steph Lowe that you can cut into
bite size pieces and carry in a zip lock bag or aluminium foil.
How to make it:
1. Preheat the grill.
2. Place quinoa, coconut, almonds and seeds onto a
lightly greased baking tray and toast for five minutes,
3. Pour toasted mix into a large bowl and stir through
4. In a medium saucepan, add rice malt syrup, salt and
vanilla and bring to the boil (about 4-5 minutes until
thick), stirring constantly. Your syrup should be thick
and golden, but take care not to overcook as it will
What you’ll need:
1 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil
1 cup quinoa flakes
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
½ cup almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons pepitas
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons Goji berries
½ cup rice malt syrup
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5. Pour hot syrup over dry mix and combine thoroughly.
6. Line a cookie sheet pan or cake/bread tin with
greaseproof paper, or lightly coat in coconut oil.
7. Transfer mixture and press firmly until flat (grease
your hands with coconut oil to prevent sticking).
8. Pop in the fridge to set first, then remove before
slicing. Once at room temperature, cut into 8-10
bars. Store in an airtight container or wrap individually
in glad wrap to take on the bike or for when you’re on
Steph Lowe, The Natural Nutritionist,
is a leading sports nutritionist who
specialises in metabolic efficiency,
real food based sports nutrition,
high performance fat loss, and teaching
you how easy real food living and
performance can be. For more
information about Steph visit
AUGUST 2016 (OH! MAGAZINE)