Ximenez-Fatio House Museum
St. Augustine, Florida
The Ximenez-Fatio House Museum was built in 1798 as a grocery store, with a tavern and billiard room downstairs, and family quarters upstairs. In 1830 (and again in 1855) rooms were added and the property was converted into a high-end boarding house, the forerunner to the opulent hotels of St. Augustine in the 19th century. From 1830 to 1875, the house was owned, consecutively, by three single women. In 1939, the property was purchased by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Florida. A member of the purchasing committee in 1939 was extremely active as a suffragist prior to the passing of the 19th Amendment.
Lake County Museum of Art
In a tiny brick house on Baltimore’s North Amity Street in 1833-1835, Edgar Allan Poe wrote some of the early stories that would make him the father of the modern short story, and create and define the modern genres of mystery, horror and science fiction.
Poe’s spirit and legacy live throughout Baltimore City, inspiring authors, poets, playwrights, businesses – and even sports teams. Poe Baltimore, Inc., a 501 (C)(3) non-profit organization, celebrates this legacy.
The Edgar Allan Poe House