Have you ever wondered, “How do the 5pm cocktails go down so easily, while the glasses of water during the day seem impossible?” Well, if you struggle to stay hydrated I am here to help. Water is such a key element to not only our health and fitness routine, but to our beauty and skincare regimen as well. Water helps keep your skin supple and clear. It helps to keep your lips smooth and wrinkle free and it flushes the toxins from your system. The average person should aim to take in approximately 1/2 their body weight in ounces of water per day, but for many of us the day flies by without a single glass down the gullet. Some of you might realize that by dinner time you have consumed very little water leading to chapped lips, headache and over all fatigue. If this sounds like your struggle then keep on reading!
Here are 7 tips to help you get your water down the hatch:
1. Buy yourself a specific water cup. This might not seem like a big deal, but having a water cup that you take with you and refill throughout the day definitely increases your chances of getting in all those ounces. Keep it close by at all times so that you can constantly take sips from it and refill.
2. Drink from a straw. You can drink much faster with bigger gulps and eliminate air bubbles in the belly.
3. Add a rubber band water tracking system. What, you ask? Take some rubber bands and wrap them around your water cup. For example, if your water cup is a 16oz cup and you are trying to consume 80oz then put 5 bands around the cup. Every time you finish 16oz remove a band and place it around your wrist. The goal is to be wearing all 5 by the end of the day.
4. Flavor it or carbonate it! You can buy a fruit diffusor allowing you to add everything from cucumber and mint to strawberries and blueberries, but any way you slice it switching to flavored water can break up the monotony of those 70+ ounces. If the regular fruit doesn’t sound appealing, a fantastic alternative is LaCroix carbonated water. You can choose from a ton of flavors like lime,
app for the IPhone that allows you to set reminders, track your intake and so much more. If you can’t remember, preset your reminders and let your phone do the work.
6. Drink your first glass as soon as you wake up in the morning. You are usually thirsty and 8oz should go down the hatch pretty easily. For an added bonus, make your second glass warmed lemon water. Not only are you crushing your water goals, but you are adding the health benefits of lemon. Regular consumption of warmed lemon water can help boost your immune system, reduce inflammation, aid in digestion, help with weight loss and freshen your breath. Sounds like a win/win to me.
7. Pick a buddy or join a group. Any time you are trying to create a habit, having others to support and motivate you can make or break the outcome. So whether it is through Facebook, a group text among your best friends or the ladies at your office, grab some friends to guzzle with.
It takes 21 days to make or break a habit so try it out for three weeks and see if adding more H2O to your life makes you feel better!
to your health: 7 tips to help you drink more wateR
Health & Wellness Coach/Facebook @Funny With A Side of Fitness