Bolognese Sauce from Valerie Demino's Table
1 1/3 lbs of 90% lean ground beef
Salt and Pepper
3/4 lb ground veal
3/4 lb ground pork
1 white onion peeled and finely diced
5 cloves of garlic diced finely
1 small shallot minced
1tsp olive oil
1/2 cup Pinot Grigio
1 can (14.5 oz) peeled whole plum tomatoes
1 can (28oz) peeled whole tomatoes (I use san marizano)
1 small carrot grated
1 container of garlic butter (3.5 oz)
1/3 cup of heavy cream
Basil for Garnish
Orecchiette pasta or your favorite pasta
1. Brown the ground beef seasoning with salt and pepper, drain fat into a bowl and set meat aside. Repeat with the veal and pork. Combine all the drained fats.
2. Sweat the onion, garlic and shallot in 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil and olive oil, for about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper. Return the browned meats, add wine. Bring to a simmer and reduce the liquid by 3/4.
3. Purree the tomatoes one can at a time and add to the pot with the beef mixture. Season again with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook on low for 50 min. Add Carrot, cook another 10-15 min.
4. You can reserve some at this point and allow it to chill and then freeze it, But if making to consume now you will add the garlic butter and the heavy cream, on medium low heat just long enough to allow the butter to melt.
5. Boil your pasta according to directions, drain DO NOT rinse.
6. Serve sauce over drained pasta and garnish with Basil, I like to add grated cheese too.