This was a Christmas Eve tradition in our house growing up. It’s not too heavy (despite the ingredients) and always gets lots of compliments.
Crème de Menthe Pie
¼ cup margarine, melted
¼ cup crème de menthe (or substitute milk, a few drops of green food coloring, and a few drops of peppermint extract)
1 (7-oz) jar Marshmallow Fluff (not Kraft marshmallow crème)
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped very stiff
1. Crush Oreos in a food processor till crumbled well.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the Oreos and the melted margarine and stir to combine. Set aside a couple tablespoons of the mixture for topping the pie later. Press the remaining mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
3. Place pie plate in freezer and allow to chill for about an hour.
4. Place the Fluff in a large bowl. Gradually add the crème de menthe (or milk, food coloring and peppermint extract) and mix well with a spoon. It will take a while – stir gently and be patient! Once it’s mixed well, gently fold in the whipped cream, being careful not to stir too forcefully.
5. Remove the chilled pie crust from the freezer and spoon the filling into the crust. Sprinkle the reserved Oreo topping on top.
6. Cover the pie (I use Tupperware) and freeze until firm – at least 4-5 hours – before serving.
7. Store in freezer. It will keep for several days afterwards, as long as it’s covered.
from the Kitchen of Rebecca Johnson