MAGIC CRISPY CHICKEN
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
1 ½ teaspoons Diamond Crystal or ¾ teaspoon Morton kosher salt, plus more
1 large egg yolk 3 tablespoons plus ¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup Dijon mustard Freshly ground black pepper
½ cup olive oil 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon honey Pinch of cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1. Position a rack in center of oven; preheat to 450°. Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet. Place chicken on rack, then pat dry with paper towels.
2. Whisk egg yolk, 3 Tbsp. mayo, 1 Tbsp. mustard, and 1 ½ tsp. salt in a large bowl.
Add several cranks of black pepper and whisk until smooth.
3. Add chicken to bowl and tum pieces several times with tongs until evenly coated;
4. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium. After about a minute, test oil to see if it's hot enough by adding a pinch of panko. If tiny bubbles appear instantly around each bit of panko, you're good to go.
5. Add remaining panko and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until
crumbs are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Make sure to get around the edges and
incorporate darker crumbs that form at the perimeter.
6. Remove skillet from heat and let cool several minutes. Place skillet on work surface next to bowl of chicken and wire rack.
7. Using tongs, take one piece of chicken at a time and place in skillet. Using one
hand, pat surrounding toasted panko over top of thigh, pressing firmly to adhere.
Turn chicken and repeat on other side with more crumbs.
8. Lightly shake off excess crumbs. Transfer chicken to wire rack.
9. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces, transferring each to rack and spacing evenly apart. Discard any remaining panko.
10. Transfer sheet to oven and bake chicken until fully cooked through, juices run clear when pierced with a knife, and breadcrumbs have gone a couple of shades past golden into deep brown territory, 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
11 . Stir honey, cayenne and remaining ¼ cup mayonnaise and ¼ cup mustard in a
Small bowl. Season with black pepper.
12. Stir chives into honey mustard sauce and serve with chicken.
from the Kitchen of Mariah Cohen