March 2017 MiMfg Magazine 13
Know the Air Issues Impacting Your Business
Non-compliance with air regulations can cost your business money , customers and its reputation . Register today for Clearing the Air in 2017 on Thursday , 4 / 13 / 17 , and learn about the air quality issues guaranteed to affect the way manufacturers do business .
Air regulations can be complex , confusing and costly . Don ’ t miss this must-attend event for all environmental professionals , attorneys , managers with environmental compliance responsibilities and individuals charged with strategic planning . 6
Date & Location
Thursday , April 13 , 2017 MMA Headquarters , Lansing
Register Today !
$ 85 / person
Online : www . mimfg . org Phone : 517-487-8521 E-mail : martin @ mimfg . org
AQD Rule Changes and Federal SIP Approval
The panel discussion will highlight many of the rule changes which became effective in December 2016 , the background and policy concerns underlying the changes , and the prospects for U . S . Environmental Protection Agency approval of many permit exemptions allowed under state rules .
• Steve Kohl , partner , Warner Norcross & Judd ( moderator )
• Tracey McDonald , environmental engineer , Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - Air Quality Division
• Robert Sills , air toxics unit supervisor , Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - Air Quality Division
• James Clift , policy director , Michigan Environmental Council
Practical NSR Implementation
The panel will discuss the latest developments / changes to the air construction permitting program , including the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality ’ s ( DEQ ) preparations for implementing emission offset requirements and Lowest achievable emissions rate ( LAER ) control technology in nonattainment areas , possible impacts on permitting in Southeast Michigan , and recent developments in air dispersion modeling .
• Paul Collins , associate , Miller Canfield ( moderator )
• Steve Zervas , Trinity Consultants
• Brian Leahy , senior meteorologist , Barr Engineering Co .
• Annette Switzer , permit section manager , Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - Air Quality Division
Michigan ’ s Evolving Energy Policy
Michigan ’ s latest update to its energy legislation is set to take effect 4 / 20 / 17 . The panel is a diverse group of stakeholders who plan to address the upcoming benefits and challenges of new statute against the backdrop of the Trump Administration and new legislators at the state level .
• Scott Sinkwitts , corporate counsel , Consumers Energy ( moderator )
• Margrethe Kearney , staff attorney , Environmental Law & Policy Center
• Paul Proudfoot , Michigan Public Service Commission
• Jim Weeks , executive director , Michigan Municipal Electric Association .
DEQ Air Quality Division Update
Learn about what is on the mind of the DEQ Air Quality Division ’ s ( AQD ) leaders , including the division ’ s upcoming goals , strategies , and challenges , as well as the potential impacts on the regulated community .
• Lynn Fiedler , division director , Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - Air Quality Division
2017 and Beyond : Outlook for Clean Air Act and Power Generators
John Kinsman of the Edison Electric Institute addresses the enormous reductions in pollutants while electricity generation has increased , as well as the regulatory landscape under a Trump Administration .
• John Kinsman , senior director for environment , Edison Electric Institute