Iron is an essential mineral found in every cell of your body .
• builds red blood cells
• carries oxygen from the lungs to every cell in the body
• helps the brain work at its best
What happens if I don ' t get enough iron ?
You may :
• feel tired and weak
• look pale
• have trouble concentrating
• be out of breath
• feel cold , dizzy , faint
• be irritable
How much do I need ?
Women 19 to 50 years of age should aim to have 18 mg of iron each day . Adult men need 8 mg each day . During pregnancy , women need even more iron . Speak with your doctor or registered dietitian to ensure you are getting the right amount .
You may need more iron every day if you :
• eat little or no meat , fish , poultry
• have heavy periods or have recently donated blood
• do regular intense exercise
• are pregnant
Don ' t eat meat ?
If you do not eat any meat , fish or poultry , you need almost twice as much iron .