Cloudflare ’ s DDoS attack trends for 2022 Q2 report
Cloudflare , the security , performance and reliability company helping to build a better Internet , has announced its 2022 Q2 DDoS report . This report includes insights and trends about the DDoS threat landscape – as observed across the global Cloudflare network .
Q2 has witnessed some of the largest attacks the world has ever seen including a 26 million request per second HTTPS DDoS attacks that Cloudflare automatically detected and mitigated . Furthermore , attacks against Ukraine and Russia continue , while a new ransom DDoS attack campaign emerged .
Highlights of the DDoS report
The Russian and Ukrainian Internet
• The war on the ground is accompanied by attacks targeting the spread of information .
• Broadcast Media companies in the Ukraine were the most targeted in Q2 by DDoS attacks . In fact , all the top five most attacked industries are all in online / Internet media , publishing and broadcasting .
• In Russia on the other hand , Online Media drops as the most attacked industry to the third place . Making their way to the top , Banking , Financial Services and Insurance ( BFSI ) companies in Russia were the most targeted in Q2 ; almost 45 % of all application-layer DDoS attacks targeted the BFSI sector .
Bashar Bashaireh , Managing Director , Middle East and Turkey , Cloudflare
Cryptocurrency companies in Russia were the second most attacked .
Ransom DDoS attacks
• We ’ ve seen a new wave of ransom DDoS attacks by entities claiming to be the Fancy Lazarus .
• In June 2022 , ransom attacks peaked to the highest of the year so far : one out of every five survey respondents who experienced a DDoS attack reported being subject to a ransom DDoS attack or other threats .
• Overall in Q2 , the percent of ransom DDoS attacks increased by 11 % QoQ .
Application-layer DDoS attacks
• In 2022 Q2 , application-layer DDoS attacks increased by 72 % YoY .
• Organisations in the US were the most targeted , followed by Cyprus , Hong Kong and China . Attacks on organisations in Cyprus increased by 166 % QoQ .
• The Aviation and Aerospace industry was the most targeted in Q2 , followed by the Internet industry , Banking , Financial Services and Insurance and Gaming / Gambling in fourth place .
Network-layer DDoS attacks
• In 2022 Q2 , network-layer DDoS attacks increased by 109 % YoY . Attacks of 100 Gbps and larger increased by 8 % QoQ and attacks lasting more than three hours increased by 12 % QoQ .
• The top attacked industries were Telecommunications , Gaming / Gambling and the Information Technology and Services industry .
• Organisations in the US were the most targeted , followed by China , Singapore and Germany . This report is based on DDoS attacks that were automatically detected and mitigated by Cloudflare ’ s DDoS Protection systems .
“ Cloudflare ’ s mission is to help build a better Internet ,” said Commenting on the report , Bashar Bashaireh , Managing Director , Middle East and Turkey , Cloudflare . “ A better Internet is one that is more secure , faster and reliable for everyone – even in the face of DDoS attacks . As part of our mission , since 2017 , we ’ ve been providing unmetered and unlimited DDoS protection for free to all of our customers . Over the years , it has become increasingly easier for attackers to launch DDoS attacks . But as easy as it has become , we want to make sure that it is even easier – and free – for organisations of all sizes to protect themselves against DDoS attacks of all types .” •
INTELLIGENT TECH CHANNELS 13