// INTELLIGENT SECTION //
Quarter of Fortune 100 don ’ t have HR in the C-Suite
FINANCE | SALES & MARKETING | CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE | HR SOLUTIONS
ambooHR has released a new study that analyses LinkedIn and other social media profiles of the HR leaders from the Fortune 100 and Inc . 100 to determine the state of HR leadership .
The study shows that women dominate the top levels of HR at 70 %, but still one in four Fortune 100 companies have no people leader in the C-suite . In addition , a human resources degree is surprisingly only the fifth most common degree among top HR leaders ( 7 %), preceded by management ( 26 %), psychology ( 10 %), law ( 10 %) and finance ( 8 %).
" The diverse backgrounds and best practices we see in top HR professionals is evidence of the breadth of knowledge required to handle the complex issues organisations have faced recently ," said Brad Rencher , CEO of BambooHR . " As employee experience issues continue to be at the centre of some of the most important business conversations of our day , HR leaders at growing companies can use these examples from the most successful enterprises and start-ups as a template for how to elevate the HR function in their organisation ."
Career status and longevity
While only 65 % of Inc . 100 companies have a dedicated HR leader , every single Fortune 100 organisation has prioritised the position . What makes these leaders attractive to the most successful companies and how they position themselves varies by company size :
• HR pros at the largest companies tend to stick with their organisation longer than the average worker . Over three-quarters ( 76 %) of HR leaders in the Fortune 100 have worked at their current company for three years or more and 48 % have been with their organisation for seven years or more . At Inc . 100 start-ups , 83 % of HR leaders have been with their current employer for three years or less .
• More than half ( 57 %) of HR leaders at Fortune 100 and Inc . 100 companies have a master ' s degree or higher .
• Only one in five heads of HR at the top enterprise and start-up companies have a professional industry certification .
It can be difficult to portray all the responsibilities of HR with a single title but we may be seeing a shift in how the new generation of companies are attempting to do it .
• Start-ups are rebranding human resources with 39 % of the Inc . 100 referring to HR with titles that include ‘ people ,’ such as Chief People Officer , compared to just 21 % of Fortune 100 companies .
• Just 3 % of the Inc . 100 have DE & I leadership , compared to 85 % of the Fortune 100 .
" I think we all understand the need to focus on the human part of human resources – the humanity ," said Anita Grantham , Head of HR at BambooHR . " Because when the people who work for you feel that humanity is prioritised in your business , they won ' t just treat others in your organisation with more care – they ' ll also do the same for your customers ." �
Intelligent SME . tech