2 . copycat were waged against several VOIP services providers . One VOIP service provider reported US $ 9 million – US $ 12 million in revenue loss due to DDoS attacks .
• DDoS-for-Hire services made attacks easy to launch . NETSCOUT examined 19 DDoS-for-Hire services and their capabilities that eliminate the technical requirements and cost of launching massive DDoS attacks . When combined , they offer more than 200 different attack types .
• APAC attacks increased by 7 % as other regions subsided . Amid ongoing geopolitical tensions in China , Hong Kong and Taiwan , the Asia-Pacific region saw the most significant increase in attacks year over year compared to other regions .
• Server-class botnet armies arrived . Cybercriminals have not only increased the number of Internet-of-Things ( IoT ) botnets but have also conscripted high-powered servers and high-capacity network devices , as seen with the GitMirai , Meris and Dvinis botnets .
• Direct-path attacks are gaining in popularity . Adversaries inundated organisations with TCP- and UDP-based floods , otherwise known as direct-path or non-spoofed attacks . Meanwhile , a decrease in some amplification attacks drove down the number of total attacks .
• Attackers targeted select industries . Those hardest hit include software publishers ( 606 % increase ), insurance agencies and brokers ( 257 % increase ), computer manufacturers ( 162 % increase ) and colleges , universities and professional schools ( 102 % increase ).
• The fastest DDoS attack recorded a 107 % year-overyear increase . Using DNS , DNS amplification , ICMP , TCP , ACK , TCP RST and TCP SYN vectors , the multi-vector attack against a target in Russia recorded 453 Mpps . u www . intelligentciso . com