International cooperation coordinated by Europol and Eurojust was central in identifying these threat actors as the victims were located in different geographical locations around the world .
Initiated by the French authorities , a joint investigation team ( JIT ) was set up in September 2019 between Norway , France , the UK and Ukraine , with financial support of Eurojust and assistance of both agencies . The partners in the JIT have since been working closely together , in parallel with the independent investigations of the Dutch and US authorities , to uncover the actual magnitude and complexity of the criminal activities of these cyber actors to establish a joint strategy .
Eurojust established a coordination centre to facilitate cross-border judicial cooperation during the action day . In preparation of this , seven coordination meetings were held .
Europol ’ s European Cybercrime Centre ( EC3 ) hosted operational meetings , provided digital forensic , cryptocurrency and malware support and facilitated the information exchange in the framework of the Joint Cybercrime Action Taskforce ( J-CAT ) hosted at Europol ’ s headquarters in The Hague .
More than 50 foreign investigators , including six Europol specialists , were deployed to Ukraine for the action day to assist the National Police with conducting jointly investigative measures . A Ukrainian cyber police officer was also seconded to Europol for two months to prepare for the action day .
This operation was carried out in the framework of the European Multidisciplinary Platform Against Criminal Threats ( EMPACT ).
The following authorities took part in this operation :
• Norway : National Criminal Investigation Service ( Kripos )
• France : Public Prosecutor ’ s Office of Paris , National Police ( Police Nationale – OCLCTIC )
• Netherlands : National Police ( Politie ), National Public Prosecution Service ( Landelijk Parket , Openbaar Ministerie )
• Ukraine : Prosecutor General ’ s Office ( Офіс Генерального прокурора ), National Police of Ukraine ( Національна поліція України )
• United Kingdom : Police Scotland , National Crime Agency ( NCA )