Intelligent CIO LATAM Issue 10 - Page 48

COUNTRY FOCUS : CHILE
Terminal Pacífico Sur in Valparaíso , Chile , improves its security and operations with Genetec Security Center .

Port of Valparaíso increa to the highest internation

The colorful buildings of Valparaiso , Chile

Terminal Pacífico Sur ( TPS ) is the main container port in Valparaíso , Chile , 110 kilometers northeast of the capital city of Santiago . This proximity makes it a strategic point in the country ’ s commercial distribution , as over 50 % of the population and domestic economic activity is concentrated in central Chile . benchmark for ports in the Americas , starting with the issue of security . This gave rise to the need to implement a video surveillance system that could allow the team to secure and monitor the security perimeter and barriers , both on the seaward side and at the various shoreside access points .

The port moves 95 % of its cargo in containers and the remaining 5 % is general shipping cargo of iron , copper or palletized fruit , during the summer season . The concession of the port to TPS began in the year 2000 and it is granted until the year 2029 .
Facing the challenge
Since the beginning of its operation as a port , TPS has had the fundamental goal of being a
The initial need was for a robust video surveillance system with capacity to operate without downtime 24 / 7 .
TPS initially opted for the Genetec Security Center Omnicast video surveillance system , with the aim of ensuring perimeter security . However , thanks to the robust nature of the platform , TPS is also now using the system to track cargo , to strictly comply with occupational safety and environmental regulations , and also to obtain extremely valuable business
48 INTELLIGENTCIO LATAM www . intelligentcio . com