• The majority of CIOs believe their role in the organisation has increased in influence .
• More than 3-in-4 CIOs say they have a greater impact on their company ’ s overall fortunes than other C-suite positions .
• 88 % agree that ‘ my role as CIO is the most critical component of my company or organisation ’ s continued operation ’.
• As the CIO role expands and evolves , respondents say that their technology vendors play an invaluable part in their company ’ s overall success .
• Businesses would feel an impact in no more than a few weeks if they halted spending on Digital Transformation initiatives , according to 61 % of respondents . This speaks to technology ’ s role as a critical component of the business , not just a source of cost efficiencies .
• Looking ahead , CIOs expect to turn to their vendors to help them solve a myriad of problems in the next five years , including increasing their organisational agility ( 60 %) and providing security of their company ’ s systems and operations ( 52 %), as well as to simplify the configuration , deployment and maintenance of technology ( 50 %) and optimise costs ( 43 %).
• 8-in-10 CIOs agree that their tech vendors are ‘ so effectively integrated that it increases [ their ] overall productivity ’.
• Considering their new challenges and evolving responsibilities , CIOs suggest their current tech stack has much room for improvement .
• Given the chance to reboot from scratch , most CIOs ( 57 %) say they would replace half or more of their company ’ s current technology .
• Compared to the previous year , 63 % of companies are using more Device-as-a- Service in their tech stack .
• As business models change , nearly all CIOs ( 92 %) would definitely or probably consider adding new aaS offerings over the next two years .
“ Modern CIOs are the ‘ mission control ’ for their organisations , their role has transformed drastically in just the span of the past 24 months ,” said Ken Wong , President , Lenovo Solutions and Services Group . “ From navigating complex tech ecosystems to keep up with the speed of Digital Transformation , to upskilling employees and managing a global shortage of IT talent , today ’ s CIO is responsible for the entire technology value chain and beyond . Lenovo ’ s research demonstrates CIOs are up for the challenge and they are looking to partner with their vendors to bring their organisations along and succeed .”
Research firm , International Data Corp ., estimates that by 2023 , 60 % of CIOs at companies worldwide will be primarily measured for their ability to co-create new business models and revenue streams , chiefly through enterprise-wide collaboration . Yet Lenovo ’ s own research shows that it may be an uphill battle for CIOs , who have identified areas such as data privacy / security , cybersecurity / ransomware and managing a fragmented IT vendor ecosystem as their most challenging concerns .
“ In this complex technological environment , CIOs want to innovate , not manage IT ,” said Wong . “ As Lenovo ’ s research highlights , CIOs look to their technology vendors beyond just delivering the basics well – namely , increase organisational agility , simplify configuration and optimise costs . IT leaders also need counsel and guidance on how emerging technology can enhance their business goals . The opportunities for technology to add real business value – right across the enterprise – are immense .”
26 INTELLIGENTCIO EUROPE www . intelligentcio . com