insideKENT Magazine Issue 84 - March 2019 | Seite 145

NEWS BRITISH LAND SAVES LOCAL FARMERS’ MARKET FROM CLOSURE WITH NEW HOME AT ROYAL VICTORIA PLACE British Land, owners of Royal Victoria Place (RVP) are delighted to be able to have helped to save the Tunbridge Wells Farmers’ Market from closure. British Land has been working closely with the market traders and Tunbridge Well Borough Council to explore opportunities for a new location and it was agreed this week that Market Square at RVP was the perfect town centre location to continue the market. The Farmers’ Market, which has been a familiar sight at weekends outside the Town Hall for nearly 20 years, will now have a new temporary home at Market Square located at Royal Victoria Place in the heart of the town centre. Nicky Blanchard, Centre Manager of Royal Victoria Place, commented: “We are delighted and very proud to welcome the New Independent Farmers’ Market to Market Square here at Royal Victoria Place. It is great to be supporting independent local traders by providing them with a location to showcase their produce.” The Farmers’ Market, which will now be run and managed by independent traders rather than as previously by the Council, will be known as ‘The New Tunbridge Wells Independent Farmers’ Market’, and will take place at its new location at Royal Victoria Place every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month between 9am and 4pm. Councillor Tracey Moore, commented: “I am very excited for the next chapter in the Farmers’ Market story in Tunbridge Wells. When the stall holders let me know they wanted to explore the option of running a market themselves, I was able to help by organising a meeting and putting them in touch with Royal Victoria Place who have made it possible for the market to relocate to Market Square. The Council will do all it can to support the traders by promoting the venture through its communications channels. The market launches on Saturday 9th March and I hope lots of shoppers, old and new supporters of the market will be there to make this great initiative a success.” The New Tunbridge Wells Farmers Market will celebrate its new location with an official launch party on Saturday 9th March where visitors will be able to enjoy hot food, music and lots of fresh produce. The new market will feature nearly 20 independent local traders, who will be selling locally sourced and produced products from around the local area and across the Kent region. HEVER CASTLE & GARDENS HAS ANOTHER RECORD YEAR IN 2018 Hever Castle & Gardens topped its best-ever visitor numbers from 2017 with another record-breaking year in 2018. Last year 389,016 people visited the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, an increase of 9% on the previous year. The chance to cool off during the heatwave in Hever Castle’s Water Maze may have been the reason for August being the top month to visit, with nearly 62,000 people coming to the Kent attraction. In 2018 Hever Castle opened Acorn Dell, a new natural play area for the under 7s which includes a two-metre high living willow structure, a giant sandpit, a mound with tunnels to clamber in and a climbing frame. A new permanent exhibition in the Long Gallery curated by historian Dr David Starkey was also opened, designed to tell the story of the Tudors through the art collection. With new state of the art lighting and curtains around each portrait to make them more authentic to the time, the saga from the Wars of the Roses to the Reformation is told. Hever Castle & Gardens CEO, Duncan Leslie, said: “We are thrilled to have had another record-breaking year at Hever Castle & Gardens. Thank you so much to our regular visitors for their ongoing support and also those who chose to come and visit for the first time. The record numbers are down to the hard work and commitment of all of our staff, across the departments who ensure those who come here have excellent customer service.” 145