Infuse Issue 15 February 2022 | Page 26

How to eat for a healthy gut microbiome

by Dr Joanna McMillan

Since it was realised that microbes could cause disease – and right now we see the enormous impact one nasty virus can have on the world – we have been taught to be germophobic .

Of course , we must be careful and practise good hygiene to keep ourselves safe from pathogens , but here ’ s what I hope is a reassuring fact : only about 1 % of microbes around us are potentially harmful . The other 99 % are mostly beneficial to our health or at the very least innocuous .
© Dietitian Connection 26 Infuse | February 2022