HEALTH & WELLNESS
in eyeglasses or contact lenses . Early detection can improve cataracts through new eyeglasses , anti-glare sunglasses or brighter lighting . Surgery can also be done to remove the cloudy lens and replace it with an artificial lens .
• Age-Related Macular Degeneration ( AMD ): One of the common but lesser known eye conditions is AMD . A leading cause of vision loss among people 50 years of age and older , AMD affects the macula , the millions of light-sensing cells that provide your eye with sharp , central vision . Age is a major risk factor for developing AMD , with most cases occurring after the age of 60 . Genetics , race , and smoking can also affect risk for AMD . A comprehensive eye exam can detect it through dilation and testing . Your eye care professional will look for yellow deposits beneath the retina to determine whether you have AMD . Intermediate and late AMD can be treated with daily intake of vitamins and minerals that can slow the progression of the disease . Therapy and surgery can also be considered for types of advanced neovascular AMD , which typically results in severe vision loss , to stop further progression .
Hearing Loss and Prevention
It is common for hearing loss to occur as you age . According to the Mayo Clinic , about 25 percent of people in the United States between the ages of 55 and 64 have some degree of hearing loss , increasing to one in two people by age 65 and older . Chronic exposure to loud noises and aging are the two main causes of hearing loss , resulting in the perception of muffled speech from others , difficulty understanding words , frequent requests for others to repeat themselves , loud volume on the television or radio , and avoidance of social settings .
Hearing loss occurs when there is damage to the inner ear , infection in the ear , or ruptured eardrum . Damage to the inner ear can happen with age , or constant exposure to loud noises over an extended period of time . These cause wear on the nerve cells in the cochlea that send sound to the brain . When they are damaged , signals aren ’ t transmitted as
• Nurse Practitioners
• On-call staff for after-hour needs
• Registered Nurses
• Licensed Practical Nurses
• Hospice Aide / Homemaker
• Social Worker / MSW
• Spiritual Care
• Bereavement / Chaplains
HOSPICE “ We Offer 24 / 7 Care Wherever You Call Home ”
Providing Support both Physical & Emotional with Compassionate & Quality Care We are a state-licensed Medicare Certified Provider
OUR TEAM CONSISTS OF :
• Physical , Speech , and Occupational Therapies , Dietary Consultants , and other healthcare consultants available
• Pharmacy Services with 24 / 7 availability and delivery
• Pet Therapy
• Tailored Services
• Veterans Service Representatives
Serving Southwestern PA for over 15 Years
Hospice care takes place wherever you or your loved one are most comfortable .
Hospice is 100 % covered by Medicare and Medicaid with no co-pay , and most commercial insurances have hospice benefits
Continued on next page >
412-536-2020 9380 McKnight Road , Arcadia Court , Suite 201 , Pittsburgh , PA 15237 Email info @ gatewayhospice . com or visit www . gatewayhospice . com
ROSS TOWNSHIP ❘ WINTER 2021 25